Electronic Ignition , Goop leaking out

JoeyL

Reaction score
I have a 1973 Polara , I noticed today there is a goop that is dense kind of like glue leaking out of the electronic ignition box . Is it time to replace the electronic ignition ?? Thanks for your help .

Polara 1973.jpg

That can happen when the box gets too hot, sometimes when the key is left in the run position. Just my thoughts on it. The car starts and runs fine? Dont\'t touch it, you will not find a better aftermarket box. And if you do change it out, please send it to me I will pay shipping.

OTOH, the glue stuff that leaks out of these boxes is a bear to clean off. I would replace it. Also, I have had Voltage Regulators do the same thing. I think because of overcharging. That heat cannot be helping the circuits in the ECU. I would concentrate on diagnosing why it's getting hot, then replace it. Rick Ehrenberg sells good quality stuff on eBay.
for MOPAR HiRev Ignition ECU Dodge Plymouth Chrysler Small, Big-Block Hi-Perf | eBay
Note, 5th wire is unneeded.

"Potting compound" is what is coming out. Might become an age-related issue? I know you can get new potting compound, so just carefully scooping out what is on the top and putting new stuff in, can be done. Google search might help?

CBODY67

Thanks guys . I'm going to see if I can get new potting compound and put it in . Drove the car today and everything was normal . Its been a hotter than normal summer and I think maybe being in the hot garage caused this ? I drive the car once a week and the rest of the time its in the garage .

Might be time for a (diaper) change on that box. I had that happen from timt to time over the years. @halifaxhops has the genuine Mopar box replacements and they won't break the bank. I picked one up from Ray this past Carlisle.

Heat does it to them. I have potting compound I use on stuff, bit pricey but works great.

1729514797132.png

I agree that heat is what causes the problem. However, I believe the heat cause is electrical and is because of a piss-poor case ground. Regulators and ECU's need a good case ground. I always verify with my ohm meter. I require .5 ohms or less and not happy until .2 ohms. I bet yours reads much higher.

Back