Engine swap should I go 360 or 383

Yes sir I hear you and I understand what you're saying as I have been looking for go fast parts for it for over 2 years and nothing has came up except for a double four barrel manifold that a guy wanted $1,000 for, but you know what I will hold off swapping my engine(unless a deal I can't refuse pops up) till I go to the fall fling mopar show later this year and I will look around and see if they have any parts at the swap meet. Thank you for your input

I would ask anyone who looks like they have, or have had, any early-mid 60s stuff. The crustier looking old guy the better. Ask anyone at the fling swap who looks like they have dirty parts that've been laying around forever. They may have one and didn’t bring it because it’s too heavy any nobody is looking for that.
Travis..

Last edited:
I would ask anyone who looks like they have, or have had, any early-mid 60s stuff. The crustier looking old guy the better. Ask anyone at the fling swap who looks like they have dirty parts that've been laying around forever. They may have one and didn’t bring it because it’s too heavy any nobody is looking for that.
Travis..
Yea I'll give it a shot and see what is out there other than that Im focus on a 360.

Travis..
Would parts from any year poly 318 be compatible to my 66 poly?

I’m not 100% sure there. There were quite a few different displacements in different years and different cars. I’m pretty sure they are the same, but you need to check out those poly sites to be 100% sure of what’s what.
Travis..

I’m not 100% sure there. There were quite a few different displacements in different years and different cars. I’m pretty sure they are the same, but you need to check out those poly sites to be 100% sure of what’s what.
Travis..
I found a dual 4barrel intake for $500 is it even worth getting will it make a difference in power for my poly? Because I'd rather put the $500 towards a 360 if I wouldn't feel a difference from the intake manifold.

I found a dual 4barrel intake for $500 is it even worth getting will it make a difference in power for my poly? Because I'd rather put the $500 towards a 360 if I wouldn't feel a difference from the intake manifold.
Cool factor but would still be slower than the 360

Cool factor but would still be slower than the 360
Yea that's what I figured I'm just going to focus on swapping to a 360la and if I come across any go fast parts for the poly at a reasonable price I'll get them. Thanks

So if I get a 360 la will it bolt up to my stock 727 trans or will I have to change some things?

So if I get a 360 la will it bolt up to my stock 727 trans or will I have to change some things?
Need the correct external balance converter or special adaptor flex plate. Your trans will be an early 19 spline so I'd go the flex plate route

Yup, B&M sells a flex plate for the 360 that uses a neutral balance converter like your 318 unit. Bolt it up and let er rip.
Travis..

Driver side lower bellhousing bolt to engine is in a different location between an LA and Poly. also use this flex plate for the swap.

1723641146590.png

1723641554673.png
1723641514688.png

Last edited:
I didn't know about that bolt hole difference, my apologies for making it sound too simple

So I got a 360 out of a 76 tradesman has 50,000 miles on it any advice on if I should rebuild my trans or change the gears in the rear end or will i be fine sticking with my stock setup?

So I got a 360 out of a 76 tradesman has 50,000 miles on it any advice on if I should rebuild my trans or change the gears in the rear end or will i be fine sticking with my stock setup?
Well I wasn't here in time to help decide between a 360 and a 383 which the obvious answer was the 440..

But since we are here now, why complicate it and drag it out. Get the motor swap done and run it down the road a while and see how you like it.
The smogger 360 will have some more umph and everything else will be fine. Miles equal Smiles.

Driver side lower bellhousing bolt to engine is in a different location between an LA and Poly. also use this flex plate for the swap.

My '67 Canadian Monaco came with poly 318 and 727. In 1986 the poly was swapped for an LA 318 (block casting dates to 1978) and every bolt bolted right up to the 727.

Unless you're talking about a 360 having different bolt pattern than a 318?

Well I wasn't here in time to help decide between a 360 and a 383 which the obvious answer was the 440..

But since we are here now, why complicate it and drag it out. Get the motor swap done and run it down the road a while and see how you like it.
The smogger 360 will have some more umph and everything else will be fine. Miles equal Smiles.
Yea well I decided to just go with 360 for now based on ease of just dropping it in and going. I do plan on going big block In The future maybe but for now there is alot i can do to my 360 in comparison to my 318 poly which would cost to much for example I bought my 4 barrel 360 for $500 in comparison to a 4 barrel manifold for the 318 poly priced at $650.
I'm going to do a quick run through on the 360 drop it in and drive while i gather up parts to full rebuild and stroke it to 408.

Yea well I decided to just go with 360 for now based on ease of just dropping it in and going. I do plan on going big block In The future maybe but for now there is alot i can do to my 360 in comparison to my 318 poly which would cost to much for example I bought my 4 barrel 360 for $500 in comparison to a 4 barrel manifold for the 318 poly priced at $650.
I'm going to do a quick run through on the 360 drop it in and drive while i gather up parts to full rebuild and stroke it to 408.
I'm not saying any way is right or wrong. But I am saying that 440 is the answer to all questions. Easy to build an LA that would stomp any factory big block these days. I have been wanting to do a late model 360 magnum for a while.

But if your wife says do you want to go out for burgers or get a pizza? 440. Am I wrong or does it just fit every time?

"I was thinking we should get a cat" _ _ _.
Have another kid?
Go to Disneyland.
Remodel the kitchen.
Get a gym membership
It never ends....

Back