Exner

What I find the most remarkable of these cars is not the apearances themselves but the incredibly difficult stampings the sheet metal required and the intensive labor to hide some of the seams. Manufacturing processes fascinate me. ( I love, 'How it's Made' ).

TRUNK_01.png

Look at the base of the fin where it meets the rear deck... :wideyed:

Last edited:
What I find the most remarkable of these cars is not the apearances themselves but the incredibly difficult stampings the sheet metal required and the intensive labor to hide some of the seams. Manufacturing processes fascinate me. ( I love, 'How it's Made' ).

TRUNK_01.png

Ive often thought of that too when looking at those cars..."how the heck did they do that"?

The one element that takes away from hood design of the 70X IMO is that prominent "pontiac" beak like hood. The beak is a mistake In my eyes. It should be completely flat, unless that serves a purpose, which I doubt.
Easy now... some of us LOVE our big pointy noses...:stop:

TRUNK_01.png

I would ask dad how they fabbed those long quarter panels and fins. He'd just shake his head and say he was glad he worked in the front end group. Often you find a strategically placed molding hiding a seam. But most of those fins required a lot of filler work.

Every aspect of Forward Look cars is amazing. Design, engineering, drivetrain and performance. Just amazing!

Easy now... some of us LOVE our big pointy noses...:stop:
Haha...no worries....I just want to know why that's there...I would make the designers justify it. Seems like a touch of artistic license.maybe.....def a no no IMO.

Last edited:
How could artistic license be a bad thing when it comes to design of any sort?

Easily.

screenshot_2016-12-11-00-23-41-252-jpeg.107398

Matt this isn't a car designed for a very small segment of a specialty market. This is a Corolla for Pete's sake.
As silly as it looks to me... I am glad it doesn't have a "smile"...

At least Toyota didn't build it for the Chinese market and bring it here as an afterthought... maybe Buick could learn from them...

Ive often thought of that too when looking at those cars..."how the heck did they do that"?

What people may not know are these fins are not flat with the sides of the car. I would estimate an 20 degree angle they are at by the top of the fin.

What people may not know are these fins are not flat with the sides of the car. I would estimate an 20 degree angle they are at by the top of the fin.
Im amazed the auto manufacturers were able to produce the curves and angles that all the fin cars have to begin with.

Easily.

screenshot_2016-12-11-00-23-41-252-jpeg.107398

Matt this isn't a car designed for a very small segment of a specialty market. This is a Corolla for Pete's sake.
Art means different things to different people Stan. Even though we may not agree with a heck of a lot of what is now and has been mainstream, to take away the artful aspect of it would certainly make things worse.

Art means different things to different people Stan. Even though we may not agree with a heck of a lot of what is now and has been mainstream, to take away the artful aspect of it would certainly make things worse.
I have been having the same argument with Pamela about this subject for almost 35 years now. She has your kind of thinking. She's left brained and I'm right brained. So, you know how the arguments go.. :lol:

Automobile design can definately be seen as an art form. I think all might be in agreement with that.

Back