Finned brake drums- take only certain wheels?

hemidart1

Reaction score
do all wheels other than stock, fit these drums? I have some after market wheels and wonder if they fit in the recessed area of the drums...

upload_2018-7-4_0-1-26.png

Should not be a problem. Double check the back spacing of the aftermarket rims for clearance in the back of your car and the front control arms ball joint area.

I put a set of '76 Charger SE 15x6.5" Rally Wheels on my '70 Monaco with those finned drums. Work fine. I DO recall some wheel listings (steel wheels) listings in the old Sears Automotive catalog that some wheels would not fit with "recess mounted" drums. Other referenced to as "MW" drums. My particular car came with the W23 Class II 16-slot chrome road wheels, in 15x6 size.

What backspacing 15x7s are you trying to install with those drums? Just curious.

CBODY67

Should not be a problem. Double check the back spacing of the aftermarket rims for clearance in the back of your car and the front control arms ball joint area.
Sorry to disagree, but I had those same drums on my '70 Newport. When I put on the slotted wheels I used for 12 years, they would not clear without using spacers - two on each side.

When I converted to disks that problem went away.

IMG_2726.JPG
IMG_2727.JPG

Sorry to disagree, but I had those same drums on my '70 Newport. When I put on the slotted wheels I used for 12 years, they would not clear without using spacers - two on each side.

When I converted to disks that problem went away.

View attachment 195772 View attachment 195773
Yes,I was corrected in a previous post.
Thanks for posting the pics!

I put a set of '76 Charger SE 15x6.5" Rally Wheels on my '70 Monaco with those finned drums. Work fine. I DO recall some wheel listings (steel wheels) listings in the old Sears Automotive catalog that some wheels would not fit with "recess mounted" drums. Other referenced to as "MW" drums. My particular car came with the W23 Class II 16-slot chrome road wheels, in 15x6 size.

What backspacing 15x7s are you trying to install with those drums? Just curious.

CBODY67
Zero offset, 3.5" backspace.
I would say A,B,E Rally's will fit same for Mopar steel wheels.
Never use stacked spacers or over 1/4"

Last edited:
I am just getting the car back from my dad and he has spacers with 17 inch mustang wheels - I want to go with 15 inch cragars but didn’t know if they would fit without spacers

Back