Foot Switches

Yeahrightgreer

Reaction score
This is probably a question I’m gonna feel stupid for once I hear the answer - but what is this switch for?

I know the top is the high beam foot switch but what is the one beneath the parking brake pedal? I’ve had this car for 7 months now and still haven’t been able to crack it. I’ve looked for an hour through my FSM and Owner’s Manual this morning to no avail. Is it just a switch for an option I probably don’t have? It’s a 70 NYer

1DE43014-9D26-43AF-A0AA-3C0627C0F4B6.jpeg

Thought that was the radio seek function on some of the higher end models like Imperial or New Yorker. Pull the carpet and see where the wires lead.

It is, no doubt, the foot button for the signal seeking radio. If your car has the original radio, it should have buttons marked "AM" "LOC" "DIST" "FM" across the top. If everything works correctly, and it's plugged into the left side of the radio, hit the button and the radio will start traveling across the dial until it picks up a station.

Foot pump washers are just in A-Bodies or maybe some early B-bodies, but never in a 70 C-Body.

It is, no doubt, the foot button for the signal seeking radio. If your car has the original radio, it should have buttons marked "AM" "LOC" "DIST" "FM" across the top. If everything works correctly, and it's plugged into the left side of the radio, hit the button and the radio will start traveling across the dial until it picks up a station.

Foot pump washers are just in A-Bodies or maybe some early B-bodies, but never in a 70 C-Body.

Thanks! That’s how my radio is set up. Every time I drive I would just look at it and scratch my brain.

Have the same radio. Great when you try to put on the high beams and change the radio station instead. Luckily my radio no longer works, lol.

My '59 Imperial has the washer foot switch. It is 1" round that is white vinyl color and about four inches off the floor. It is not floor mounted but under dash mounted.

My '59 Imperial has the washer foot switch. It is 1" round that is white vinyl color and about four inches off the floor. It is not floor mounted but under dash mounted.
I seem to remember my Dad's '57 Windsor having a similar white switch for the pump and also mounted just under the dash. That was a long time ago, so my memory might be a little hazy on that. I can't tell you if it was OE or an aftermarket Trico unit though.

That's an electrical switch on your car and not a rubber bellows pump like was mentioned. Correct?

My Dad's car also had an aftermarket system for dropping sanding grit on the rear tires. I've never seen another and only read about them a couple times.

There is no electrical pump attached or near the jiffy jet washer bag. The switch is fairly high off of the floor so I would say vacuum.

There is no electrical pump attached or near the jiffy jet washer bag. The switch is fairly high off of the floor so I would say vacuum.
Yea, I don't really remember much about it other than the Trico bag and the switch being an ivory colored plastic.

My uncle was a Trico distributor (along with Autolite and a bunch of other brands) so it would not have been a stretch for my Dad to have installed it. When my Dad bought a new '63 Newport, I remember him installing the Trico washer in that car.

Back