Frankenstein-Cucamonga

If the car is wearing its original paint, then the roof was painted.
If the roof was painted, it must mean that the car did not come from the factory with a vinyl roof.
If it did not come from the factory with a vinyl roof, it should not have the trim at the base of the C-piller. Yes?

I still don't have an effing clue what the thread is all about.

Nice car... welcome.

Not sure mate, didn't even check that, but will do. Was purely going off that interior shot, the 2nd I saw I was thinking I had it lol.

BTW, I prefer the Plymouth Dash, oops, am I allowed to day that on this thread, ha ha

check the fender tag again.
Should it really have a 1970 Dodge dash?

v-roof:
It didn't have one from the factory. Check the fender tag.
It is also not on the broadcastsheet. V01 car, too no V1- code

The v-top was added during its life but it wasn't there from the factory. I am going to remove the trim later on.

But it is nothing Steve and I have done to it

OK, enough of this. Carsten said I could reveal what is going on. It is a 71 Polara Brougham but Carsten wanted it to look like a 1970 Polara Brougham. That meant he wanted me to change the front and rear bumpers and grille/tail lights etc so it would look just like a 1970 Polara, so that virtually only the most expert person on this model could detect the changeover (at least on the outside). Some of the giveaways though are the rectangular outside rear view mirror and the lack of a decklid emblem that would not match a real 1970 model. Now Carsten knew the rarity of this model and so did I when I originally bought it with its factory 440 engine and all, but he wanted to buy the car due in part to the color and the powertrain. But I wanted a 1971 Monaco and found one of those instead, and decided to sell Carsten this car (I wanted to reduce the size of my collection at the time and this was one I could let go). I found it very unusual for Carsten to then request that in getting the car ready for him to operate well in Germany, that he wanted me to change the bumpers and related parts. I could do this because I parted a very rusty 1970 Polara years before and had the parts needed. While I wouldn't have done this, it was Carsten's car, so I did what he wanted. After starting this project, I quickly learned that this was no simple changeover, as particularly in the rear, the 1970 bumper would not attach to the rear of the car without some major modification - so I had to call in my one of the best in the business body/paint guy to make the conversion. He had to cut out some of the rear panel that the bumper mounts to in order to attach it. He surgically cut only the minimum to accomplish this and did some minor welding so that it would be very hard to detect, even if someone peered from the inside of the trunk, looking for a modification. I asked him to do it so that it also could be converted back if Carsten or a later owner would want to make it original again. My body/paint guy is really smart as well as capable and pulled it off quite well. It could be changed back fairly easily but is is also hard to detect. In the front, the grille mounts entirely differently than the 70 model, so my expert crafted some new brackets to make the changeover and had to modify the mounting to the front of the fenders themselves. But again, all could be converted back if someone wanted to make it original again. A new Bob Baker dashpad was also installed and a lot of electrical gremlins were sorted out and a conversion of a "field mounted brake booster" to a usual factory booster setup also had to be done since the original booster on the car was no longer available. My body and paint guy came to the rescue there too. I had not even driven this car 5 miles since I bought if before Carsten bought it, so there was much to fix. But most of it was sorted out and now Carsten has a nice to drive 1970-looking Polara Brougham, from the outside. Enjoy Carsten! My apologies to everyone else for making this conversion possible! To each his own. I live in Rancho Cucamonga, CA, so that weird city name was partially used to name this creation. My thanks to my body/paint guy for bailing me out when I found that this was no straightforward conversion - couldn't do what I do without his continual help.
Steve

attachment.php

005_zps6wdmyo8f.jpg

Never would have guessed it was all that hard.

I'm gonna stick with Formals...

I don't know about it being a Germany saying or its exact origins but, yes it is.
Funny how our tastes are so similar and yet we couldn't disagree more on this.....

So Steve, about those spare parts

Carsten told me to keep them, so I still have them. Just in case.................................

:thumbsup:

Ive seen a half dozen or more over the years switched one way or the other, I am surprised to hear of the obstacles

Me too. I would have never guessed that two almost identical bumpers would not just interchange with maybe some different brackets - no way. Even the lower valence in the rear was different as well as the valence mounting supports. No wonder Chrysler had trouble making money.......................

Me too. I would have never guessed that two almost identical bumpers would not just interchange with maybe some different brackets - no way. Even the lower valence in the rear was different as well as the valence mounting supports. No wonder Chrysler had trouble making money.......................

Did you change the body side moldings as well to the 70 or leave the 1971 s on there?

And to hear Jeff Godshall tell it the 1971 was a throw together. The 72 was supposed to be a 71 model . . . .

Back