Frankenstein-Cucamonga

I like the 68,69,70,71,72, and the 73 Polara's. I think they all look great!

to ad a little more history:

I always loved the 70 Polaras. More than the Monacos as I don't like the wide side trim so much.
The 71 Polara looks similar to many but I do not like the sticking out front grill as well as the look of the rear.

But there is one thing that always disturbs me on 69/70 Dodge Fullsize: The dashboard. I do not like the tall dashface.
I always liked the Fury dash which was used in 1971 on Dodge, too.

So I always thought a 1970 Polara with a 1971 Dash would be great. Or a 1971 Polara with a 70 front grill and rear.
This thought isn't new. I am having those thoughts since more than 20 years.

Forward into spring 2014 I saw the car at Steves place. I love the colour (FQ5 turquoise) and it had the best engine, a 440. It was original unmolested, too so the kind of car I prefer.

Steve was willing to let it go after he found a replacement.

Here is a picture of it:

The original grill was missing. So this was a sign to me.
I quickly purchased a 1970 Polara grill and sent it to Steve.
But then the drama begun. It couldn't be installed as we hoped to be.
Step by step we knew we had to replace everything.
And so I decided to move on and do the full swap. Front and rear.
Do it once and do it right just as I always dreamed about it.

We opened up another can of worms with the swap of the rear.
Steve told a lot of details but there is even more. He changed the wiring harness from the back as it needed a 1970 version for all the "lights" in example.

Despite the bumper/grill section everything else ist still original.
These are the original Brougham hubcaps and the trim is still the original one.
Despite one major fact:
Steve repaired a lot of it, straightening trim, shaping it and addding black rubber inserts were they were missing.
Here are another couple of shots. Look closely to see how waivy the trim was and how it looks now.

Everything which has been done could be returned.
I like original faded paint even though this colour looks great, too if it is fresh.
The A-pillars and floorboards give a good indication how it once looked in its glossy days.

So that is the story of my first custom car.
Just not sure if Judges at a car show will get it ;o)))

Carsten

I'm sure it will look even better with a little wax on it.

Q5 seems uncommon on a two door, saw many four doors wearing it.

We share similar thoughts Carsten but as a lad imagine my disappointment in finding out no 71 convertibles were made. That has been my dream and since I was 16. Some have tried but only half hearted attempts. I presume you were having trouble locating a 1970 440 2 door? Either one 70 or 71, not an easy task

Was the 71 Challenger/Cud the only and last very for Chrysler in 71? I believe 68 was the last very for Imperial.

Sure... almost seems foolish. Like no Monaco rags in 70 or no 69 Monaco ragtop US sold.... or a Sport Fury ragtop in 70...just doesn't make sense but those convertible sales were down.....way down

Yes... B's in 70...Cs in 70, E's in 71 and I believe As in 68
69 for A's.

Dart Top.jpg

Dart Top.jpg

That puzzles me too since Chevy and Cadillac had them until 76.

@Dave:

It was really difficult finding the right car.
The colour is very important to me. Turquoise and blue are my favorites on C-Bodies.
Getting the most powerful engine is a major plus in my book, too.

Once saved a 1970 Monaco in EF8 green with green interieur from a wrecking yard but I couldn't live with the colour
over the years so I sold it again.

Once considered the black 1971 Monaco survivor (with repainted hood) which was for sale nearly 10 years ago. But I wouldn't have done my project with a nice survivor.

Once I nearly bought a EB7 blue 1970 Polara with blue interieur but the 383-2 kept my way from buying it. Additionally it had some rust and other flaws.

I feel your pain about the 1971 vert which was never made.

Carsten

Back