Fuel line runs through stub frame

65Fury440

Reaction score
Trying to upgrade to 3/8 fuel line.
Is there some type of fastener inside the frame channel that holds the fuel line in?
It doesn't want to budge pulling on it.
Looked in FSM, can't find anything.

0000695_hcs0004-516-mopar-fuel-line-clip-black.jpeg

Is there some type of fastener inside the frame channel that holds the fuel line in?
Probably not.
I don't see how they would have put it in the assembly line.
Nor how they would pass the line and have it fastened.

Nope, no fasteners but the stub often fills with sand/gravel/dirt and it can be a pain to get the line out and worse to put the new one back in.

On the ‘70 there are two bolts that attach with clips at the entry and exit points. Took me a while to figure it out, but I had to turn the line to pull it out. I did mine when the stub was out of the car, not sure how to get it back in now that the stub is installed.

This is how I did my '65 Dodge. It has to be removed and installed from the engine compartment side.
Remove grille, and radiator.(I tried avoiding this but in the end it was necessary)
Before removing the old fuel line, tie a string around the end under car.( helps on installation)
Pull and rotate line from front, this will take some screwing around with which direction and when to rotate.
reverse to install.
BTW a helper is mandatory for installation.
The hole in the stub is rather small under the car.

jim

It can be done solo and without removing body parts as I've done it, but it's not an easy task, nor do I remember many of the details as it was a number of years ago although I do believe I did it primarily from the rear. Mine was also a 65 Dodge (Polara).

The line was re-installed running along the inside of the rocker on the ‘73, now I know why.

Thanks for all the responses.
This is going to be a huge pain in the ***.
There is no good way to grip it from the top (header)
The hole at the bottom is too small to yank it through.
I'm using a good size pair of needle nose pliers from the bottom, but there just isn't any give.
Looks like the T bar and header are going to have to come out.

This is how I did my '65 Dodge. It has to be removed and installed from the engine compartment side.
Remove grille, and radiator.(I tried avoiding this but in the end it was necessary)
Before removing the old fuel line, tie a string around the end under car.( helps on installation)
Pull and rotate line from front, this will take some screwing around with which direction and when to rotate.
reverse to install.
BTW a helper is mandatory for installation.
The hole in the stub is rather small under the car.

jim
Absolutely no body panels or grill needs to be removed to replace this line. I did it on my 68 NYer just 2 years ago. In the engine compartment where the line comes out of the stub there is a little clamp that holds it to the stub frame. Remove the clamp. Use lots of tape to secure some mechanics wire to the line. Go back to the side of the and remove the line from the frame pulling toward the rear. You'll have to twist some as you go.

When you make you're new line put the kink in it just like the factory had. Tape it to the mechanics wire and pull it up through the frame. Tape the end off good so you don't get an junk from inside the frame in your new line. This shouldn't be a hard job to do. You'll probably need about 6 feet of wire.

If you cut the fitting at the top it will come out the bottom, but a needle nose won't give you enough grip. You can flare the top end once reinstalled although it's tight especially if you have headers in there.

I didn't have a flare on either end of mine. :realcrazy:

On the back there was a short piece of hose to hook to the line coming from the tank. On the front there was another short piece of line from the frame rail to the pump.

This all reminds me of the story about the gynecologist who rebuilt his engine through the exhaust pipe!
:rofl:

I didn't have a flare on either end of mine. :realcrazy:

On the back there was a short piece of hose to hook to the line coming from the tank. On the front there was another short piece of line from the frame rail to the pump.

That's also what my car has. I can't find a diagram to tell if it is stock.

I just flipped through my manual real quick. i ddin't see anything that would lead me to think that it wasn't factory. It would be incredibly difficult to run one steel line from the tank to the fuel pump especially considering that you're going through the frame.

This will fall on deaf ears due to age, but, I want to thank all for this thread.....I have been agonizing over mine. The rubber is bad at both front and rear, but I would like to replace the steel line before replacing the rubber....and in fact, I want to use a bite type fitting between the two lines, the old rear and the new front....then rubber to piump for engine flex. Thanks I will also mention that I want to use marine fuel line instead of auto for these fuel lines....to add a bit of insurance.

Back