Headman Headers....do they ALWAYS burn plug leads and arc out on the headers???

I haven't tried the Hedman headers on C's, but I have the C specific Hookers on my car and they fit surprisingly well, better than expected for sure. I don't want to jinx it but with 90* boots I've never burned up a set of wires.

The TTI set I have waiting to go on will definitely benefit from a couple straight boots instead of 90* though.

well i got tired of plug wires doing that on headers , so i when with ceramic tipped wires and that problem is over . but these ceramic ends get hot and the rubber liners stick to the plugs a bit . i've cracked them and have had to replace them do to that , but i never get arcing wires yet . even with a really hot cam that burns off the header paint and a msd 6a ignition diag box .

DSC09262.JPG

DSC09263.JPG

DSC01384.JPG

my exhaust temps are around 900 degs , very hot cam .
Curious, are you running a breaker point trigger for that MSD 6A? I've been meditating on something like this for our family ride, even though Gertrude runs reasonably well with the venerable Kettering setup the car was designed with....

I like using the factory Mopar electronic distributors with the analog 6A/6AL MSD boxes. Have set up several cars that way and they always work well.

I like using the factory Mopar electronic distributors with the analog 6A/6AL MSD boxes. Have set up several cars that way and they always work well.
Hall Effect trigger requires less maintenance than breakers, for sure! I like my breakers, but sometimes speculate about using some primitive CD w them. MSD isn't primitive of course. Having got this old motor doing so nicely with the turn of the 19th to 20th century stuff, that I don't really care to change it. If I really want extra power or must comply with harder Emissions regs, I might do it then..... Good to see that the MSD boxes are so versatile.

I run the Streetfire box that is made by MSD. It is made in the USA. I use it with a Mallory dual point distributor, and it works great.

I tried an msd box and points once, it burned the points out pretty quickly
Yah, I can believe that. Not likely I'll do it. I've probably reached the acme of performance on stock, single point performance with this 383. It does well enough with the Taylor coil, solid core copper wires and platinum plugs. I got back 270 ppm of hydrocarbons in the exhaust, where the legal ceiling is 450. I see the crankcase oil is a bit dirty, so I reckon changing it soon will do good for this and CO. Dwell still sits right on 30 degrees, so those points are doing as I set them to. I don't think a CD would be good for this old school setup. Now a Mallory dual point dizzy might do well here....

I run the Streetfire box that is made by MSD. It is made in the USA. I use it with a Mallory dual point distributor, and it works great.

Ah, THIS might be the route to try for Gertrude! Maybe the HP manifold for the passenger side to match the driver side too. This be a FAMILY ride after all.

Nothing wrong with a point type distributor if it's in good shape. I don't drive my cars that many miles and I bought quality parts from @halifaxhops. THe parts in my dual point are going on 3 years. I put a Pertronix in my 70 and it has been flawless for many years. THe multispark feature of the MSD is a great idea but I sure hear about a lot of failures of late. Like the new replacement Mopar Electronic Ign. modules you buy now days. Many failures.

I haven't bought an msd box in at least 15 yrs, maybe 20. Haven't had to replace any, so the vintage I have are good but I can't speak to more recent ones

I haven't bought an msd box in at least 15 yrs, maybe 20. Haven't had to replace any, so the vintage I have are good but I can't speak to more recent ones
You have one of the old "good" ones.

Back