Help with few things on 77 NYB

77NyKR

Reaction score
Hey guys got a few things I’ve been putting off on my 77 NYB.
I need to get into the hvac, it smells like a nasty barn when I turn the air on, something has gotten in there. What’s the process so I can clean her out properly.
2nd one of the rear window motors won’t work. I can hear it make a small click when I hit the window down, but no movement. I have taken the panels off before. How hard is the window motor to access?
Thank you and happy 4th!

C8FE8335-AE2F-4F36-A044-2DCA54FEA61C.jpeg

There is mold in the AC heater core coils. I have used this on several cars to eliminate the odors you describe. Also, check along the fire wall to see that the drain for the AC is clear. Amazon.com

The clicking with the rear power windows may be the plastic gear inside the motor mech is bad. You can purchase replacements and put new gear lube in the unit. Search the site for posts on how to work with the spring loaded power windows. I have done it on my 1978 but use extreme caution as the steel parts under spring tension can cut - hurt you.

The best approach is to remove the heater box and do a thorough wash and clean up w/ anti-bacterial soap. While you have it apart replace the foam seals. Contact DMT, @detroitmuscletechnologies for a foam seal kit to restore it to like new operation.

If AC is charged and disassembly is out of question, how about removing blower housing in engine compartment. Should have direct access to the core. The other side maybe accessed through blower resistor mounting hole? I have to do this also - hopefully someone can confirm that this strategy works.

Last edited:
Mice like to make a nest in the blower motor basket. If it is an Autotemp car, you can clean it out from inside the car...passenger side over by the kick panel, you can see right into the blower from there. Just be careful not to break any vacuum fittings as there is a diaphragm for the system there.

Not as good as a complete disassembly and de-tox, but it's better than nothing.

Back