Helper Springs

Bucket

Reaction score
My car is a 1961 Chrtysler Newport hardtop .
I have recently put wider rims and tyres on with a lower profile .
The rear tyres are slightly scrubbing the inner guard .
New leaf springs are not an option at the moment money wise but will be in the future .
Has anyone used these helper springs before .
They are 470mm long so i don't know if they would be long enough .
STABILITY PLUS STABILIZER - Infinity Wheels

Load Plus Helper Spring

The other option is the Monroe Max Air pump up shock absorbers .
I know there is a lot of opinions on here against them but they may be a temporary solution for now .
Cheers,
Bucket .

Those added leaf springs? They could well deform what you have, especially if they are on the rear part of the spring. Might work decent for Ford and GM, but NOT for Chrysler products.

Load-Leveler type springs? Not effective, due to the compression of the softer "variable rate" middle section.

Air shocks? In my use here in N TX, where it didn't used to snow as much as in recent years, I put Gabriel Hi-Jackers on the back of my '70 Monaco (to replace a pair of Monroe Load-Levelers which were on the car when I bought it) and use 60psi to just level the car. That was in about 1975. No issues, but do inspect the upper shock mounting area first! In normal use, that shock mount experiences all kinds of stresses due to normal driving movements (push-pull) anyway, so a moderate additional constant force should not really matter. I knew better than to use "full extension pressure", anyway!

What about a different tire that is one notch narrower?

CBODY67

Thanks CBODY .
Tyres are near new and to replace them is costly down here in Australia .
They are only scraping a bit but making a mess of the white letters .
Have decided to go with some pump up shocks which i got at a reasonable price .
Cheers,
Bucket .

Back