How to check for numbers matching transmission?

Stargazer

Reaction score
Just curious, how to check if the transmission is numbers matching? If possible at all. See attached photo of the transmission nr on our 1969 Chrysler 300. The number 2648 stands for 1968 according to the 10.000 day calender?

Transmissie nr 300.jpg

Looking at the image, the 7-digit number looks like a Chrysler part number (for the complete assembly) of the 1968 or so model year. Which could be correct for your car.

As for the "calendar" you mention, have not heard of that one. I have heard of the Julian date calendar, where each day of the year has a number (1 to 366).

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

The 69 should have the VIN on it.

Transmission, may not be the full VIN
2014-05-26_001.jpg

Should match the engine.
2014-05-25_003.jpg

When I say match I mean MATCH, top the transmission and engine numbers ghosted together.
Middle, the engine number
Bottom the transmission number
The dies are ganged together so the heaviness angle etc should all match.
2014-05-26_000.jpg

Another 69
IMG_4363.JPG

IMG_4362.JPG

Alan

2892092 is a 1969 C-body 440 trans.
2648 is Oct 27, 1968 assembly date.

Look on the passenger side of the bellhousing for full vin or last 8 of vin and see if it matches you car.

Something easier. Post photo of fender tag and we can see the SPD of your car. Should be approx 6 weeks newer than the trans so from mid December 68 to January 69 as an estimate.

Has you car got a factory 440 engine? Is 5th digit of Vin a letter K?

Something easier. Post photo of fender tag and we can see the SPD of your car. Should be approx 6 weeks newer than the trans so from mid December 68 to January 69 as an estimate.

As cars were built well before and after the SPD, use of the Scheduled date is, at best, an extremely rough guess as to correlation with other date coded parts.

All we know for sure at this point is the car was likely not assembled before Nov 1, 1968. The tranny may have been set aside in inventory and not used until March or April.

As it an 092 assembly, we know it goes behind the K code 350 horse engine.

20220116_142603 - kopie.jpg
20220116_142705.jpg

Last edited:
2892092 is a 1969 C-body 440 trans.
2648 is Oct 27, 1968 assembly date.

Look on the passenger side of the bellhousing for full vin or last 8 of vin and see if it matches you car.
I could not find any number on the entire bellhousing. Both sides! Is it possible it was at one time replaced with a new one, without numbers?

I could not find any number on the entire bellhousing. Both sides! Is it possible it was at one time replaced with a new one, without numbers?

The VIN on a 69 will be on a pad on the passenger's side of the transmission, not on the bell housing. Look at the examples posted in #3 by Mr Moparchp as a guide.
Yes, it's possible that the transmission is a replacement and the VIN won't be there but I have a feeling you will find it.

Ok guys, thanks to you I found the number. It was hidden behind the torsionbar, aftermarket exhaust pipe, and wooden blocks (no lift availible).
Cannot properly read the whole number. But last digits tell it's not numbers matching. Oh well, now I know the situation on this car.

Transmissienr. 300.jpg

Back