I can't drive - SEVENTY FIVE! Or can I?

Providing everything else is solid todays shocks and tires are far superior to the originals on thes cars. That Polara brand new would probably be floating all over the road.
Great dash shot.
132 mph, temp gauge reading fine and a half tank of gas left. Oh yeah!

Im not convinced Id do that now. That was probably five years ago. Now my head says, dont break the car

I did 130 with a brand new 71 R.R. that felt solid at that speed. Tried a speed run with a Satellite Sebring same year but it would get squirrelly with front end float over 100mph.

I did push my first 71 Polara to the R in the selector lever, obviously , well passed the 140 mark . She was topped out by then. This was on the PA turnpike about 30 years ago. The 71 Chevelle SS 454 convertible that was next to me had a bit more than I did and he walked passed me, slowly. That was on the way home from a Fall Carlisle event. I have pictures of that car ahead of me. His top was down with two buddies in the car

I did 130 with a brand new 71 R.R. that felt solid at that speed. Tried a speed run with a Satellite Sebring same year but it would get squirrelly with front end float over 100mph.
It must've been those bias ply tires.

the actual reason for the legislation was to save "lives." Too many people were dying on the Interstates in those days. The first OPEC Embargo changed the reason for its institution
Cars must really be safer because speed limits are back up and there are more and more of them every day. They must be surviving the first few.

It must've been those bias ply tires.
Think both cars had the Polyglass GTs. The R.R. had the stiffer suspension package.
Top speed was really never my thing but, when a couple cheerleaders ask "how fast can it go?", well..........

Cars must really be safer because speed limits are back up and there are more and more of them every day. They must be surviving the first few.
That is the case, indeed! Studies revealed more cars, more accidents, less serious injury, less death. So, the reason for the 55 MPH no longer existed. The fake reason, gas millage, was addressed by the fact that we were consuming less fuel while driving more miles. So, there has been progress in these areas. Whoo-hoo!

That is the case, indeed! Studies revealed more cars, more accidents, less serious injury, less death. So, the reason for the 55 MPH no longer existed. The fake reason, gas millage, was addressed by the fact that we were consuming less fuel while driving more miles. So, there has been progress in these areas. Whoo-hoo!
The drawback is more of the dummies that crash over and over do not get eliminated from the gene pool.
And yes they are out there.

I've been there; have you been here? Heck, I could drive that car all-year-round here!
I've been to Cali a couple times but not Chico. I was not at all impressed with the parts of southern CA that I saw. I liked the north much better and would like to see more of it.

I've been to Cali a couple times but not Chico. I was not at all impressed with the parts of southern CA that I saw. I liked the north much better and would like to see more of it.
The North State is much more attractive than the South, and there's more to do here as well, if the subject is outside enjoyment. For entertainment, you can't beat So. Cal!

Agree Matt. I spent a week in L.A. area 2 years ago. Stayed in Marina del Rey and just cruised all over. Pacific is gorgeous, weather was nice and i like the mountains everywhere you look. Otherwise nothin special and considering the crazies i saw, taxes and property costs...well no thanks. I'm fine just visiting. I'd rather stay where i'm at.
I did find myself sitting at a red light at Sunset and Vine and thoughtof a song from my youth. Just for the heck of it i started west as the lyrics came to mind as i crossed Doheny etc. Hell i figure that Vette and Jag raced over 7 miles to deadman's curve. "The last thing i remember doc......."
And visits to family members up in the bay area raise the same thought. Good entertainment for a visit.

My wife and I recently went for a nice drive in our 68 Fury and I was doing between 60 and 70, sometimes 80 and it feels like thats where the thing is happy. It gets quieter and we were just floating along lol, definately not a white knuckle ride... I tried 85 before but that made me a little nervous in the dark.

Back