I can't drive - SEVENTY FIVE! Or can I?

Our c bodies were designed during the 70 mph freeway era before the 55 mph joke. "C" bodies in good condition or when new can and did cruise at 80/85 straight down I-75 to Florida and back.

thank you sanity!

i read this thread, and decided this is the trouble with america these days. for a youngster to have to ask this question even is a sad day in america.

these cars just hit their stride at 70, especially with highway gears like 2.76. with the 727 xmission, you will run out of road before you run out of motor.

and, a civil engineer I once knew told me the roads are built for 15mph - 20mph safer speeds than what is posted. put that on top of the lowering of the speed limit, set sail baby.

No sweat, run it out as long as you want ...
IMG_0913.JPG

I've got a question that probably shows my lack of mechanical know-how, but I don't mind looking dumb so I'm going to ask:

Are these big, old Chryslers ok to drive interstate speeds of 75 or higher for long distances? This is of course only in situations where the car is mechanically sound. I ask because they were made when highway speeds were 55 mph. I want to make trips to Denver (or further) which is 90 miles one way but it sounds like I need my rear end rebuilt in my '73 Fury and I want to take gear ratio into account if I end up needing new gears. Also, I'd appreciate any advice on what I should look into for gear upgrades, please!
If you wish to drive at such speeds, aside from good tires and a good balance on them,
1- Brakes are in tip-top condition including booster and master cylinder. If the booster fails you'll be in the trunk of the car ahead of you by time your 2 1/2 ton car comes to a stop.
2 - Wheel bearings are known to be good, both font and rear. Questionable bearings failing at this speed, with that weight of car, means loss of steering or a broken rear axle. Either way failure will cause a serious loss of control.
3- Good universal joints and a balanced drive shaft. Weather the front or rear, universal joint breaks at 70 is a mute topic. If that shaft drops pity you or the people behind you.
So if your a responsible driver and maintain you car via a reputable mechanic you'll never fear higher speeds on the freeways. As far as gearing, 3.23 is probably the best choice.

If you wish to drive at such speeds, aside from good tires and a good balance on them,
1- Brakes are in tip-top condition including booster and master cylinder. If the booster fails you'll be in the trunk of the car ahead of you by time your 2 1/2 ton car comes to a stop.
2 - Wheel bearings are known to be good, both font and rear. Questionable bearings failing at this speed, with that weight of car, means loss of steering or a broken rear axle. Either way failure will cause a serious loss of control.
3- Good universal joints and a balanced drive shaft. Weather the front or rear, universal joint breaks at 70 is a mute topic. If that shaft drops pity you or the people behind you.
So if your a responsible driver and maintain you car via a reputable mechanic you'll never fear higher speeds on the freeways. As far as gearing, 3.23 is probably the best choice.
I like my 2.94 in my Imp over the 3.23 in my Challenger.

I like my 2.94 in my Imp over the 3.23 in my Challenger.
I agree. I have 2.76 in my Newport. I put in a 3.23 SG once; I liked the acceleration and the around town driving better, but never cared for the higher RPM on the highway, even though I knew it would be that way. I returned to a 2.76, only with a SG instead of an open.

In your Imp vs. Challenger, same motor in both? If so, what's the difference in MPG you receive? Curious....

I agree. I have 2.76 in my Newport. I put in a 3.23 SG once; I liked the acceleration and the around town driving better, but never cared for the higher RPM on the highway, even though I knew it would be that way. I returned to a 2.76, only with a SG instead of an open.

In your Imp vs. Challenger, same motor in both? If so, what's the difference in MPG you receive? Curious....
440 in the Imp and 383 in the Challenger. To be honest I hardly drive the Challenger and haven't really been keeping track of mileage in either of them lately.

Well, if you need someone to drive that car for you I'd be glad to do so. Can you get it to Chico?

Well, if you need someone to drive that car for you I'd be glad to do so. Can you get it to Chico?
No, but you'd be welcome to drive it if you pay a visit to the Detroit area.:thumbsup:

man that 55 mph bs was for gas saving crap . yes drive it at speed , just make sure its safe to operate . good brakes good streering good running power train and your ability to handle that great ride at speed . as others here i've berried the speedo in my cars . there ride great at speed . need i say more . shy'nee syd up rubb'r syd down . gas on .

I am late to the party.

But I drive my c-bodys a lot on the german Autobahn.

Those which have gears 2.76 or 2.94 get driven 80-95mph
Those with 3,23 gears usually 70-80mph.

My advise would be to make sure to have good tires (free of cracking/aging). Check tire pressure regulary.
Make sure there is always enough transmission fluid and try keep the engine oil to the full mark. You only have five quarts of oil and it gets hot at higher speeds (don't mix it with the water temperature). In case it burns or uses oil ad early and not when it is already down to "minimum".

Carsten

Back