I HAD to post this one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Three models, three *** treatments.
That would be three different rear 3/4 stampings![/QUOTE]
Well..... At least two different stampings, Polara and Dart.
Those big round light units look like an add on.

Those are all very nice. I have never seen the Dodge with the low taillights before. If there was a law that made the lower taillights non-compliant, the law must have been changed later. I mean, just look at the taillights on the '79-'82 Malibu wagons and El Camino's. Those taillights would never have passed.:)

I'm looking at a brochure for the 1961 full size Dodge line.

According to the pics in the brochure, the 118" wheelbase Dodge Dart Seneca, Dodge Dart Pioneer, and Dodge Dart Phoenix came with the lower tail lights and the 122" wheelbase Dodge Matador, Dodge Polara, and all wagons (any model) came with the high mounted tail lights.

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Dodge/1961_Dodge/dirindex.html

Another reference to the auxiliary tail light says that was a dealer installed item for the cars that came with the low mounted tail light.

Virgil Exner's 1961 styling with its reverse fins, rear fender scalloping and concave grille was highly unpopular with consumers. There was also an adverse reaction to the low positioning and small size of the Dart's tail lights positioned just above the corners of the bumper; drivers in other cars complained that they could not see them. The wraparound taillights were designed to provide side visibility at night, but the majority of the light was projected sideward, not rearward. By mid-year, Dodge was forced to make auxiliary taillights available at extra cost through its dealer network. However, these large round lights were mounted near the inboard side of the reverse fins, and aggravated the already awkward styling.

Last edited:
According to Collectible Automobile article in the Dec. 1999 issue the auxillary taillights added to the Dart during midyear was "possibly" because "original taillgihts were too low or did not emit enough light to satisfy some state regulators".
So the author is not sure as well, but at least they look like afterthouhts to me. Never liked this newer versions.

Nothing wrong with a green 4dr d500 either.

2988387428_6c1cb2abea_z.jpg

2988387428_6c1cb2abea_z.jpg

Although it is academic at this point Exner got caught up in style rather than design..or "kitchy" design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back