I'm bracing for flogging and the flame... Dumb questions...

Apparently UHaul won't rent us the flatbed trailer to haul the car.
I don't want to put it on a car dolly.
Tow companies want $3-$4/mile (it's 250 miles)

Now I have to hope I can borrow a trailer big enough, or this whole thing is a wash, and I'm gonna go pout. I'm not comfortable driving the car for the 250 mile trip without going through everything first.
You're being too honest with U-Haul. Go pick up the trailer with you're buddy's F250 dually and tell 'um you bought a 1962 V-DUB in Asheville that doesn't run, Better still, rent the Dually from Lowe's or Home Depot and once you're out of sight go do your thing, Shish?

Have fun explaning that to an insurance company and/or a lawyer. You'll beg to go back in time and pay $5 a mile.

I have a 2017 Ram 3500. It's the size of the trailer that is apparently the issue.

You're being too honest with U-Haul. Go pick up the trailer with you're buddy's F250 dually and tell 'um you bought a 1962 V-DUB in Asheville that doesn't run, Better still, rent the Dually from Lowe's or Home Depot and once you're out of sight go do your thing, Shish?

That's what I did when I hauled the Magnum cross country from CO with the 1500, and when I hauled the Monaco from MD to CT.

Have fun explaning that to an insurance company and/or a lawyer. You'll beg to go back in time and pay $5 a mile.
Worst case you are out the value of the trailer to U-haul. Liability is extended from the tow vehicle, and as long as you are within the GVW of the trailer all should be good to go.

My F-150 that is going to pull a '74 New Yorker accidentally becomes an F-250 Super Duty pulling a 61 Valiant on paper.
Ooops. Close enuff...

That's what I did when I hauled the Magnum cross country from CO with the 1500, and when I hauled the Monaco from MD to CT.

My concern is making sure all 4 wheels are on the trailer. Are the footprints of a 68 Newport Coupe the same as the cars mentioned in that other thread?

There are dozens of threads here with photos of C bodies on U-Haul trailers. It's not a trailer issue, it's a counter person issue.

There are dozens of threads here with photos of C bodies on U-Haul trailers. It's not a trailer issue, it's a counter person issue.
Counter person will never see the car loaded...

With that said, I think I'm going to take the high road and just borrow a trailer that I KNOW is big enough, and eat the added cost of fuel towing the empty trailer up there.

A few examples. I think U Haul needs to re-think the specs.

-1 (2).jpg
-1 (3).jpg
-1 (4).jpg
-1 (5).jpg
-1 (6).jpg
-1.jpg

We're going to be hauling in the rain, and the 3500 is now out of the equation, so it's gonna be a regular cab, short bed Ram 1500 5.7 towing with a dual axle steel trailer. If that trailer falls through (like everything else in my plans) then I'll chance it with UHaul... but the guy driving the truck has a questionable driving history. Makes me nervous.

A few examples. I think U Haul needs to re-think the specs.

American corporation, as such very risk adverse. They're under-rating for the sake of law suits. Thank god we'll never have another world war. Could you imagine the economic and environmental impact studies that would have to be done before we could ramp up weapon production? Let alone milleniumproof the machinery.

And when you talk to them honestly about the trailer and they mention that it could have a catastrophic failure and there could be injuries or death, you gotta shrugg your shoulders, look them dead in the eye and say no one gets out of this life alive ya sissy.

Apparently UHaul won't rent us the flatbed trailer to haul the car.
I don't want to put it on a car dolly.
Tow companies want $3-$4/mile (it's 250 miles)

Now I have to hope I can borrow a trailer big enough, or this whole thing is a wash, and I'm gonna go pout. I'm not comfortable driving the car for the 250 mile trip without going through everything first.
Don't put it on a dolly you'll risk denting behind the front wheels, AMHIK. The std cab short bed will be fine. Just keep him from driving like an idiot.

Back