Im close to going Ford

Nothing wrong with Fords (I've owned a few of the local Fairlanes/LTDs), but isn't there another Mopar that comes close to the Polara?, you guys over there are spoilt for choice.

Nothing wrong with Fords (I've owned a few of the local Fairlanes/LTDs), but isn't there another Mopar that comes close to the Polara?, you guys over there are spoilt for choice.
Polara is what hooked me for C body cars.

I’ve been saying for years that if I wasn’t such a Mopar guy I’d be into fords.

I grew up with Fords and Corvairs in southern Kalifornia. However, my relatives bled John Deere green and Mopar blue back in the Midwest.

I have since come to appreciate Mopars, but still have an affinity for Henry’s products and Corvairs.

I did order a brand new 1995 3/4 ton 2wd GMC Suburban, and nearly returned it via the lemon law as I had to have the radio replaced 3 times.

I still have a distaste for GM, even though I own a 1995 Buick Roadmaster and 2 Corvairs. They cannot manage their money. They purchased Hughes Aircraft Company ( of whom I worked for and retired from after nearly 33 years) for 5 Billion. They spun off DirecTV ($), sold the defense portion of Hughes to Raytheon for 5 Billion and then sold the satellite division to Boeing for another 5 billion and still had to get the government to bail them out? No thanks!

Funny, we were at the Ford Nationals this past weekend. I was surprised at how little variety there was, but then again it is the 60th anniversary of the Mustang. Lots of great cars, but we were more interested in the T Birds, but I did find my dads old wagon on display.

IMG_2441.jpeg

If I were to get into Fords I’d go for something like this:

IMG_2408.jpeg

Back in the day, I was 15 minutes from becoming a Ford guy, on the way to looking at a ‘65 Fastback, but a friend stopped by and wanted me to go see a Challenger with him, the rest is history. I eventually did get a Mustang, but that was short lived, lol.

IMG_0593.jpeg

Funny, we were at the Ford Nationals this past weekend. I was surprised at how little variety there was, but then again it is the 60th anniversary of the Mustang. Lots of great cars, but we were more interested in the T Birds, but I did find my dads old wagon on display.

View attachment 664351
If I were to get into Fords I’d go for something like this:

View attachment 664355

Back in the day, I was 15 minutes from becoming a Ford guy, on the way to looking at a ‘65 Fastback, but a friend stopped by and wanted me to go see a Challenger with him, the rest is history. I eventually did get a Mustang, but that was short lived, lol.

View attachment 664350
My parents had a 68 LTD Country Squire (390 4bbl, C6) exactly like this:

IMG_0752.jpeg

I was witness to it doing 120 mph, when we were returning from my accordion lesson, my dad had to pee. ;^)

I put this up before here. First car I ever financed, in high school, with a used car dealer and a co-signer.

this pic is from 1977. Car is 1975 Ford Elite. Arrow is CB antenna, and yes, like everybody else it had "static straps and curb feelers. Scanned Polaroids from 1977. You Michigan cats surely recognize the bicentennial plates.:poke:

A tuition casualty in 1982 so I could get my undergrad diploma.

PXL_20230918_181245957.jpg
PXL_20230918_181208032.jpg

I am still in the "Elite" business as we speak. I still have three of these cars. Love' em to death since 1975. Ford only made them 1974-1976 model years.

This red one is a 1975, 460, sunroof car (one of just a handful made, per Kevin Marti), that was sporting Mopar "10 spokes" last time I had it out.

I succumbed, in a moment of old coot weakness, to Ford and Mopar die-hards dissing me for wheel mixing and went back to the OEM aluminum wheels below (like the ones on brochure car)
1717421456762.jpeg

1975 Elite.jpg

1717422394997.png

We wouldn't hate you for it Dave. My Grandpa Bought a 66 Galaxy 500 Brand New Christmas eve of '65 and kept it till he couldn't drive anymore. His daughter has it now. Was candy apple red with a white top.

I put this up before here. First car I ever financed, in high school, with a used car dealer and a co-signer.

this pic is from 1977. Car is 1975 Ford Elite. Arrow is CB antenna, and yes, like everybody else it had "static straps and curb feelers. Scanned Polaroids from 1977. You Michigan cats surely recognize the bicentennial plates.:poke:

A tuition casualty in 1982 so I could get my undergrad diploma.

View attachment 664364View attachment 664366

I am still in the "Elite" business as we speak. I still have three of these cars. Love' em to death since 1975. Ford only made them 1974-1976 model years.

This red one is a 1975, 460, sunroof car (one of just a handful made, per Kevin Marti), that was sporting Mopar "10 spokes" last time I had it out.

I succumbed, in a moment of old coot weakness, to Ford and Mopar die-hards dissing me for wheel mixing and went back to the OEM aluminum wheels below (like the ones on brochure car)View attachment 664370
View attachment 664369
View attachment 664372
Weren’t the Elites a fancy LTD II or the successor to the Gran Torino?
I also believe that they were Cougars in the Mercury line, no?

Elite was born as the " Gran Torino" Elite in 1974. In 1975 and 1976, it was just the "Elite".

1717428995382.png
1717438905093.png

the Cougar got the same platform treatment (it got BIGGER) though it existed as a stand alone brand for several years by then.

Ford musta thought blingin' up the "Torino" to appear in the midsize "personal luxury coupe" segment needed another name, hence piggy-back on the established "Torino" name with the "Elite" to enter that segment.

In 1977 MY, in the middle of downsizing in the malaise era in Detroit, Ford scrambled things again. Thunderbird became a "mid-size", and they killed Elite, replaced it wiith "LTD-II", and put new smaller T-Bird and Cougar on that new/updated platform.

1717430158001.png

hfjf-4.jpg
hfjf.jpg

By that time, I was starting to fall in love the 1978 Dodge Magnum B body, which became the J body Mirada in 1980.
1717435426157.png

Got my first Mirada, above about when I bought it, used, in 1983. Thats about the time Mopars came to dominate the fleet. never owned a Magnum.
Yes, of course, I still have it - same car with a roof job. big meats, and a juiced-up 318-4V :).

IMG_2973.JPG

Ford, as a new'used daily driving brand, for me, ended with that 1975 Elite.

Though I stayed in the hobby for Elite, and '70-'79 big T birds, Marquis, and Lincoln Marks. Right above, a '78 Grand Marquis in the fleet .. I got a couple these big ones (5x5 bolt pattern).

I am drippin in Panther CV-P71's as daily drivers .. winter driving, summer fun dailies. My current one.
PXL_20230915_231833999.jpg

Last edited:
Elite was born as the " Gran Torino" Elite in 1974. In 19975 and 1976, it was just the "Elite".

View attachment 664375

the Cougar got the same platform treatment (it got BIGGER) though it existed as a stand alone brand for several years by then.

Ford musta though blingin' up the "Torino" to appear in the midsize "personal luxury coupe" segment needed another name, hence piggy-back on the established Torino name with the "Elite"

In 1977 MY, in the middle of downsizing in the malaise era, Ford scrambled things again. Thunderbird became a "midsize", and they killed Elite, replaced it wiith "LTD-II", and put new smaller T-Bird and Cougar on that new platform.

View attachment 664377
View attachment 664380View attachment 664381
By that time, I was starting to fall in love the 1978 Dodge Magrum B body, which became the J body Mirada in 1980.

Got my first one, above about when I bought it, used, in 1983. Thats about the time Mopars came to dominate the fleet.

Yes, of course, I still have it - same car with a roof job a juiced 318-4V :). View attachment 664379

Ford, as a new'used daily driving car for me, ended with that 1975 Elite.

Though I stayed in the hobby for Elite, and '70-'79 big T birds, Marquis, and Lincoln Marks. Right above, a '78 Grand Marquis in the fleet .. I got a couple these big ones (5x5 bolt pattern).

I am drippin in Panther CV-P71's as daily drivers .. winter driving, summer fun dailies. My current one.
View attachment 664378

So you have two brown Miradas ?

So you have two brown Miradas ?

Naw chief ... this one, my first one, is that Crimson Red (maroon).

My others are Saddle (?) Brown, Candy Apple Red (aftermarket color) Nightwatch Blue, Patriot Blue Metallic (a 1990's color), and Spinnaker White.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Naw chief ... this one, my first one, is that Crimson Red (maroon).

My others are Saddle (?) Brown, Candy Apple Red (aftermarket color) Nightwatch Blue, Patriot Blue Metallic (a 1990's color), and Spinnaker White.

:thumbsup:

Gotcha, then I'm not reading something correctly. Is that Mirada familiar to me?

Went to the Carlisle Ford show on Friday. It's two thirds modern Mustangs. Only 67 Galaxie I saw there was a convertible in the car corral. I have a soft spot for the 63 Galaxie and Marauder, and the 67-68 Cougar. Loved the 68 390 XR-7G with factory sunroof that was in the show. Also like the 63 and 65 T-bird convertibles, but there were no 58-63 T-birds in the show and no 65 convertibles. There was a 65 hardtop, and I did see a 63 convertible the next day while on a tour of Eclectic Motor Company in Maryland. The 63 Marauder is one that attends our local cruise in. The 63 Galaxie convertible is one I saw recently at the Classic Auto Mall in Pennsylvania. Also kind of like the 64 Galaxie XLs like the blue 390 car at Carlisle.

DSCN1682.JPG

DSCN1683.JPG

DSCN1463.JPG

DSCN1609.JPG

DSCN1556.JPG

DSCN1915.JPG

DSCN1186.JPG

DSCN0269.JPG

DSCN1417.JPG

I just wanted to say it looked great!
I'm a Mirada guy too. I've had four, they're just too slow.

Went to the Carlisle Ford show on Friday. It's two thirds modern Mustangs. Only 67 Galaxie I saw there was a convertible in the car corral. I have a soft spot for the 63 Galaxie and Marauder, and the 67-68 Cougar. Loved the 68 390 XR-7G with factory sunroof that was in the show. Also like the 63 and 65 T-bird convertibles, but there were no 58-63 T-birds in the show and no 65 convertibles. There was a 65 hardtop, and I did see a 63 convertible the next day while on a tour of Eclectic Motor Company in Maryland. The 63 Marauder is one that attends our local cruise in. The 63 Galaxie convertible is one I saw recently at the Classic Auto Mall in Pennsylvania. Also kind of like the 64 Galaxie XLs like the blue 390 car at Carlisle.

View attachment 664398

View attachment 664399

I'd have to have the XL to get the good interior.

Do the big Fords have the same parts availability problems as our C bodies?

After the first dozen rows of 2015+ Mustangs I was pretty much done. Mustangs and Raptors. There were some cool old Broncos and Cougars, but I did not see any Galaxie 500's, they must have left by the time I got there on Saturday. The swaps were useless, but then again I was looking for parts for the wife's T-bird, mostly unobtainium. I think I need to go to a Jaguar swap to find what I need, lol.

Keep looking Dave, you are going to find that Polara, I know it!

I just wanted to say it looked great!
I'm a Mirada guy too. I've had four, they're just too slow.
"poster sled" of the malaise era .

darn thing couldn't get outta its own way. even with an E58 mill in 1980 .. best of the four model years but was a bit pokey, too.

like everything from everybody was for a decade and J's were smack-dab in the middle of the performance swamp.

something simple as '87-'89 M squad mill swap will work wonders, let alone something (e.g., LA stroker and it'll fly to the moon) with bark and bite.

all mine are juiced. two even have R/B's to keep me from falling asleep at the wheel . :poke:

Back