Kelsey Hayes steelies // recall wheels

69monaco

Reaction score
Hi there , some time ago i bought a set steelies from a guy here in the Netherlands ,(rusty)...he told me they came from a 70 chrysler 300 .
They are 15X6j.
I notist they were closed steelies ( not the normal chrysler steelies with the 4 openings ) .
After sandblasting/powdercoating i see the name Kelsey Hayes.
Did chrysler used these KH wheels ?

And thinking of that .........these ( closed ) steelies were also under my old (sold ) 69 polara 500 . ( with the polara 500/monaco hubcaps ).
I think these were also KH but i never looked at it , maybe chrysler also made these closed steelies ??

And another question is ; What wheels were changed out with the Kelsey Hayes recall wheels ? Kelsey Hayes steelies ???

Thanks........Martin.

Last edited:
welcome7smiley.gif

Pictures please.
It's the entry fee.

Ted these are the only recall wheels I have ever heard mention since the term "recall wheel" started:

458915000-vi.jpg

Yours look like Fords. Good looking wheel too. Perfect for Dog Caps.

6-Maverick.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think those are Chrysler wheels. They may fit, and they may have been taken off a Chrysler, but not an original wheel that I've ever seen.

I think they are a replacement wheel like a tire store would sell. Example, you need an extra pair for snow tires or you bent a wheel. That would be the wheel they would sell you. The other possibility is they are some sort of Ford wheel.

Is the center of the hub the correct size? In other words, does the center hole fit nicely on the front hub?

IIRC, Ford wheels may have a smaller center hole.

I didn,t try yet but they will fit..........
The mopar dogdishes do fit perfect.

Anyway , i was thinking maybe the Chrysler dealers got steelies from Kelsey Hayes for the alu recall wheels.
I,m allmost sure the ( closed ) steelies on my old polara 500 were always on that car , i bought it from the first lady owner ( 82 years old that time ).

Those would NOT fit if they are Ford wheels - the center, or register, hole is smaller on the Ford wheels. You can put Chrysler wheels on a Ford, but NOT the other way around!

@69monaco - The Ford wheel will have a FoMoCo insignia OR a Ford logo with the oval, stamped inside the wheel rim and/or between the lug holes. A Mopar wheel will have a Pentastar stamped between two lug holes.

Looked again and the pentastar ( luckily ) is stamped inside the wheel rim.
Not between the lug holes ......

Carsten , you sold that monaco i gues....?

I didn,t try yet but they will fit..........
The mopar dogdishes do fit perfect.

Anyway , i was thinking maybe the Chrysler dealers got steelies from Kelsey Hayes for the alu recall wheels.
I,m allmost sure the ( closed ) steelies on my old polara 500 were always on that car , i bought it from the first lady owner ( 82 years old that time ).

I thought KH was a supplier of wheels to Chrysler back then... not exclusive but a supplier

Chrysler installed Kelsey Hayes wheels on many cars such as yours. I see a lot of them when looking for used wheels. You'll see: Kelsey Hayes and the pentastar on them. You may also see 15 x 6JJ or 15 x 6.5JJ, depending on the size.

Okay thanks , what i see ;

KELSEY CANADA FU <pentastar>
M 15 X 6 JJ I 1 7 L K2

Looked again and the pentastar ( luckily ) is stamped inside the wheel rim.
Not between the lug holes ......

Carsten , you sold that monaco i gues....?

Hi Martin,

yes, it was all a long time ago. 70 Monaco 2dr HT. I bought it from a salvage yard. I rescued it because it was a T-code 440 car.
The usual story. Bought it, organized a title for it (was a lien sale), paid several years DMV back fees in california, had it shipped overhere, fixed it up, repaired it, drove it and sold it a few years later on, getting back 50 cent on the Dollar. Stupid things. I call it C-Body love.

Cars is now repainted in FF4 green (original colour) and living in southern germany.

Carsten

Back