Leanburn conversion 1978 Chrysler 400 engine

Fred A

Reaction score
Hello, I did a lean burn conversion on 1978 Chrysler. The vacuum on distributor touches manifold when set at 8 degrees. It says to set timing at 5 degrees but was only able to go as far as 8 degrees. Anyone else have this problem?

PXL_20240602_182517958.jpg

Should be 5 degrees with the vac hose to the vac advance removed and plugged. Which set of instructions are you following AND what parts did you use to do the change?

Did you pull the oil pump drive in the process??
I think you could reindex it by a tooth to solve your problem

If there are directions in the kit, follow them as close as possible. A few more degrees initial will not hurt, as long as no clatters happen on heavy acceleration. End result is that about 36-40 degrees advance (mechanical and initial) happen. Not a hard and fast rule, except on the max advance being in that window.

CBODY67

Lets back up a little.... what was the end result of your issue with the "missing" timing mark from earlier last month??

Hello, I did a lean burn conversion on 1978 Chrysler. The vacuum on distributor touches manifold when set at 8 degrees. It says to set timing at 5 degrees but was only able to go as far as 8 degrees. Anyone else have this problem?

View attachment 664189
OK, this might not be "concours correct", but I've run into this problem and this is how I fixed it. "Basically" you turn your distributor clockwise "one spark plug wire's worth on the cap". Then you move each spark plug wire over one spot. Lastly, you re-time the engine since you probably won't turn the distributor perfectly one spot over (but you should be pretty darn close). Now, that vacuum canister is clear of everything around it.

Back