Looking for 440 U-Code photo's

From 69 forward didn't the VIN get stamped on the block? Wouldn't that remove all doubt? Anyone can bolt on hp manifolds or a duel snorkel air cleaner. The following was advertised as a 68 and 69 U Code intake...

$_57.JPG

That's my plan, no one seems to know the differences off hand and there is no information out there, this needs to be done!
There will definitely be some differences from year to year but it's likely that there will also be differences from plant to plant and early and late.

I would assume when you say "U-Code" you are referring to the HP 440, in 69 it was a "L-Code"

What is it you want to know?

Alan

There will definitely be some differences from year to year but it's likely that there will also be differences from plant to plant and early and late.
All the more reason to catalog this stuff.
For the anal detail oriented addicts.

I have loosely tried to do this with 65-68 383's so I can get the Engine Compartment correct on BitterSweet.
It will drive you crazy.

The correct spark plug wire clips and correct routing alone... Arggghhh.

Are you saying I have OCD? :D
We all do in this hobby but each of us has a different focus. I was far more anal on the Polara which was an "original" car and came first but never to the point for having correct plug wires. The Monaco which came later is a pieced together car which I've taken more liberties with and as a result am having more fun with.

Trying to compare all years of the 440 U code from '69+, trying to see if I can pickup some details. Nick

i'm with commando1 on the desire to take this mission. may the wind be at your back.

personally i'm more with fratzog (and others) on the challenge..the cars that exist today (unless they still have window sticker and zero miles on them in some museum for example) may have lost most if not all of that fine, factory detail.

and, even if you had the original spark plug wires, for example, you wouldn't even wanna use them (unless correct repros perhaps) on a car today.

anyway, that doesn't change "how" they were built and how they looked rolling off the line so it seems a lot of what you'll need to research (i know you know this) is archival/vintage materials from Chrysler..to the extent THAT stuff is accessible.

the B/C body cop car crowd (L and U code) has labored through some of this detail and can help, the E-body folks as well ... may even have documented this/own one of these time-capsule/window-sticker L/U code cars?

the mechanical content in U/L codes vs the non-HP mills is pretty well understood...but ALL those little details and variations by plant and in first-time quality (rework, general build sloppiness) of 40 years ago. wow.. tough mission.

again, have it brother and all the best!

here's some factory stuff that could help a little with appearance cues ..ez to find out there on-line

Mopar Engines.jpg440-1977.jpg440.jpg
440sixpack.jpg383magnum.jpg
Magnum V8.jpg

Mopar Engines.jpg

440-1977.jpg

440.jpg

440sixpack.jpg

Magnum V8.jpg

383magnum.jpg

This would be a poorer world without Allpar.

yep, and they get their hands on a lotta stuff FROM Chrysler itself, and comments and analysis from the former employees who actually designed/built this stuff 30-40 years ago.

if you got sleuthing to do, just like here on FCBO, leads can be found there for sure.

here.s some advertising stuff too (caveat -- some things depicted in ads never quite found their way to production cars), most outside your engine/date range but could provide clues in your research

1968 Advertisment.jpg
Scat Pack Ad.jpg
426-Hemi.jpg1963-413-V8.jpg

1968 Advertisment.jpg

426-Hemi.jpg

1963-413-V8.jpg

Scat Pack Ad.jpg

I have never seen an air cleaner like the 440 at the bottom shows in the drawings in post 14. Probably a misprint?

ive been finding this usefull in helping determine year from pics sometimes as they were a one year only item...1971 ...3 outlet oil breather

Back