May need to sell our 71 300

Wow that is quite the car and story. I like it a lot. Great looking machine. I don't know what it is but I really like c-bodies when they have consoles.

I am sure the new owner is very happy with his new ride. Sorry that it had to be sold.

Dave

I showed interest when it was first posted, I sent more messages but no response until it was sold. I had no opportunity to make an offer. I do not know where the seller advertised the car.

John

I showed interest when it was first posted, I sent more messages but no response until it was sold. I had no opportunity to make an offer. I do not know where the seller advertised the car.

John

I presume it had to be a silent sell. No one I know of saw it advertised. I still think it should have gone for mid 20s

A guy with the money immediately available and who didn't significantly haggle with the price that was set bought it and the seller had the money the following day. It is now out West, where many good things go. With cars like this, you can't be on the fence or timid or just express interest.

A guy with the money immediately available and who didn't significantly haggle with the price that was set bought it and the seller had the money the following day. It is now out West, where many good things go. With cars like this, you can't be on the fence or timid or just express interest.
with all due respect, (if I am understanding the person's post right) he did all he could do by sending the seller a message. I don't blame the seller for selling with cash on hand ready, and he probably got a lot of messages, so seller may not have had time to respond to all of them. I just wanted to point out that (it sounds like) he did more than just express interest, but I am not blaming the seller either. I've been in that situation before when you just want to try and get in touch with a seller, but there is no answer. That said, I understand many circumstances can cause a seller to not respond back.

Ok....but it was never for sale.

Just a may need to. ...

Guys like John tried and Nadda.

Just a may need to. ...

I never had the impression myself that it wasn't available for sale since the seller made his need pretty clear. But after a few tire kickers that came over to look at it after they asked him to let them see it on the weekend coming up and then had multiple excuses about why they couldn't buy it then and there, the seller took advantage of the straight up offer to closely match what he was asking for the car from a buyer that was motivated. The reality is that folks in the U.S. dream a lot without coming up with the funds in the end. I personally do not bother to try to sell a car here in the U.S. anymore unless I have a potential buyer that has made his interest clear and has the funds ready. Otherwise, it is just a real hassle. In well over 30 transactions with buyers overseas, I have never even once had any issue at all. And I see their very well-loved cars being restored and photos come my way all the time, and I love it. With buyers in the U.S. in the past, I sell a car and never see it again in any form. The guys overseas actually get them restored most of the time, too.

My impression of John on this site is that he is a great guy, (and he offered to go look at a car for me in the past too) and I wished he had the opportunity to go further with the seller. But this was a case where there was a very desirable car likely available and it just took a little pushing to make his interest more clear was the case this time from what I heard of the transaction. The seller had a bunch of interest expressed to him and already had plenty to deal with given his circumstances and didn't have time for a lot of hassle. The transaction was completed in two days and the buyer already has had the car for almost a week now, and it was brought a long way out here in a covered transport. The seller was unleashed to deal with his mother's needs immediately.

I never had the impression myself that it wasn't available for sale since the seller made his need pretty clear. But after a few tire kickers that came over to look at it after they asked him to let them see it on the weekend coming up and then had multiple excuses about why they couldn't buy it then and there, the seller took advantage of the straight up offer to closely match what he was asking for the car from a buyer that was motivated. The reality is that folks in the U.S. dream a lot without coming up with the funds in the end. I personally do not bother to try to sell a car here in the U.S. anymore unless I have a potential buyer that has made his interest clear and has the funds ready. Otherwise, it is just a real hassle. In well over 30 transactions with buyers overseas, I have never even once had any issue at all. And I see their very well-loved cars being restored and photos come my way all the time, and I love it. With buyers in the U.S. in the past, I sell a car and never see it again in any form. The guys overseas actually get them restored most of the time, too.

My impression of John on this site is that he is a great guy, (and he offered to go look at a car for me in the past too) and I wished he had the opportunity to go further with the seller. But this was a case where there was a very desirable car likely available and it just took a little pushing to make his interest more clear was the case this time from what I heard of the transaction. The seller had a bunch of interest expressed to him and already had plenty to deal with given his circumstances and didn't have time for a lot of hassle. The transaction was completed in two days and the buyer already has had the car for almost a week now, and it was brought a long way out here in a covered transport. The seller was unleashed to deal with his mother's needs immediately.
I not even offer my car any more in North America for sale true words Steve I totally agree with you for me is it way less hassle and BS too sell my cars to Europe.
It seems to me that most people over here don't have cash anymore, is hard to believe but is true.

Correlation does not imply causation.

The "I don't sell in the U.S." posts are silly. Of course your tire-kickers are local! It's very little effort to come see a car if it's just a few miles away. I've gone to look at cars without being real serious (and some times I've bought because the deal is better than expected). But when I was hunting a Mexican Ramcharger from across the country, any call I made was totally serious.

This is also the C-body capital of the USA, there are people here still using them as drivers (as I've shown). While the car in question was nice, the local market says it's not more than twice the value of of this car, just up the road...

00e0e_599Zioq7veX_600x450.jpg

...but prices here are depressed because the market is saturated. Don't get too worked into a lather about the triple-black-console because outside this website, 99% of the population sees them as "big boat engine donors".

That guy will never pull $8k out of that NY'er in Michigan because next month a coupe will come up for $5k. When I sold my '70 Fury I knew it would have to have national exposure. And it took a NY buyer to pay $7500. I probably could have held out for more, but making space was simply a higher priority.

Correlation does not imply causation.

The "I don't sell in the U.S." posts are silly. Of course your tire-kickers are local! It's very little effort to come see a car if it's just a few miles away. I've gone to look at cars without being real serious (and some times I've bought because the deal is better than expected). But when I was hunting a Mexican Ramcharger from across the country, any call I made was totally serious.

This is also the C-body capital of the USA, there are people here still using them as drivers (as I've shown). While the car in question was nice, the local market says it's not more than twice the value of of this car, just up the road...

View attachment 177344
...but prices here are depressed because the market is saturated. Don't get too worked into a lather about the triple-black-console because outside this website, 99% of the population sees them as "big boat engine donors".

That guy will never pull $8k out of that NY'er in Michigan because next month a coupe will come up for $5k. When I sold my '70 Fury I knew it would have to have national exposure. And it took a NY buyer to pay $7500. I probably could have held out for more, but making space was simply a higher priority.

Don't think I can go along with your logic this time. It took you a long time and a fair amount of hassle to sell your 4 door 70 Sport Fury over here in the U.S. And for all that hassle, you didn't get that much for it in the end it seems to me, but not bad either. The locals that went to look at the black car heard about it on FCBO, so they were not potential "just anybody" buyers as this black 71 300 was not advertised for sale anywhere else that I know of. And the potential buyers did show up on the weekend as was planned.

And I personally do not think this 14K mile triple black 71 300 coupe that was just as described from what I have seen in any way compares to a nice 4 door 72 New Yorker 4 door. The market in the U.S. is not saturated with cars like the black one, but there are indeed many good examples of 4 door New Yorkers to be had on a routine basis. If that black car had had a/c, I would have it now rather than the guy that bought it. And I already have 9 of these beasts, all 2 doors (yes I am a 71 300 coupe *****! - but two of them are leaving soon) and they rarely show up at all anymore. I personally do not have time to deal with potential buyers in the U.S. based on a good amount of experience over the years, and it is just getting worse, not better. First, I don't like having guys come to my house to inspect the car who I don't really know and leave saying they will get back with me and then nothing. I end up spending full whole days just dealing with these guys to no avail. Overseas, I show the interested parties pleny of photos of every angle of the car and I already have a good reputation with them, so I have no hassle with selling to them. And they appreciate it.

Just a may need to. ...

From what I see in this thread, Henry posted his considering selling the 71 300 on March 15, and the same day, John wrote a post here letting Henry know that he would be a potential buyer. Then on the next day, March 16, Henry responded to John with an acknowledging post on page 2 of this thread. From what I heard, the guy that bought it didn't do so until late in the day on the 17th. Did John not try to follow up with him on the 16th or 17th then? I just don't think it is correct to characterize Henry as being unresponsive at all.

I think it is BS to say a car was advertised for sale on this site when it wasnt , that I know of. It was a " May need to sell" heading.

I personally would have felt like a circling vulture had I reached out knowing the circumstances.

All I can say is that 3 guys actually showed up to see the car on the 17th for some reason, and after none of them offered to buy it, it was then sold later in the day. I don't know more than that.

Maybe you are just are a too nice and timid kind of guy! :)

Back