Meet Buttercup, a 1972 New Yorker Brougham 2-door Hardtop

Buttercup just completed her stay at @david hill's Mopar Spa. I stopped by David's over lunch to pick her up. I later drove her for about 3 hours, on the highway and also in town. It was a pleasure, thank you David!

The rebuilt engine looks like it has a lot of oomph. I did not push it much and stayed under the speed limit, as it's only got about 600 miles since the rebuild, but I can't wait to open her up.

Below is a photo of Buttercup and David's 1970 Chrysler 300 Hurst at a gas station near his place, before my drive. The two cars will be caravanning this Friday starting mid-afternoon with @73 New Yorker 's 1973 NYB, en route to @71Polara383 's shop and then onto @sixpkrt 's C-body show Saturday. @fury fan will join me for the ride.

View attachment 667181

And here is Buttercup parked later today, in the early evening. The color of the GY4 Honeydew paint, even though it is not metallic, really travels with the sun.

View attachment 667182
I love seeing this beautiful 1972 NYB every time we see it. Thank you for sharing it whenever you can. I loved both the 72 and 73 NYB. A rare one like this is not seen often.

I am interested to see how David's Hurst compares to my memory of my 70 300 with TNT.
Depends on whether I can bring the madman out in David for 10 secs or so.
Not a chance!
Yeah, based on what I requested and the response that was provided, I can only conclude that a Hurst has equivalent acceleration to a 72 New Yorker.

Yeah, based on what I requested and the response that was provided, I can only conclude that a Hurst has equivalent acceleration to a 72 New Yorker.
Well, Buttercup’s engine — as you drove her Friday evening — was recently rebuilt, with pistons bored .30 over and a Waldron dual exhaust installed. So she is a rather good 440. Regardless, I am pretty sure that David’s Hurst would leave most everyone in the dust, if he so chose :)

Buttercup is moving back East, starting with a trip to Carlisle. Here she is, as prepped for the trip by @71Polara383 — thanks a million to him and to @david hill for all their help!

Resized_Resized_20240710_073614_1720615014979_1720615016885.jpeg

Last edited:
She looks trophy ready ayilar, I wish I could see her this year. Wyatt and David did a great job on her, best of luck and safe travels. I would love to see pictures of her at the show.

Buttercup parked in downtown Carlisle today, after 800+ very pleasant miles.

IMG_3268.jpeg

Buttercup had a great time at Carlisle. Here she is in the town, ready to leave after the Nationals.

IMG_3489.jpeg

Buttercup reached her summer destination. She put on over 900 miles trouble-free miles at HIGHway speeds, last Wednesday and yesterday (with some in-town driving on Friday and Saturday in Carlisle). Her performance was flawless, including close to 100 miles at a sustained 65mph in 90-95F sunny weather on Sunday morning. In city traffic, in 100F weather and amid high humidity yesterday evening, she again ran just fine.

She is a pleasure to drive, as @Boydsdodge can testify (he drove her for several hours on Wednesday while I was driving Ming). @75LandYacht, who test-drove Buttercup yesterday to get a sense of just how good of a job @david hill did with the engine, likewise commented on how smooth she feels. The upholsterer who redid the driver's seat, whom @sixpkrt had recommended, is to be commended on just how good the choice of foam was -- and how original the seats look (SMS material).

Here she is, idling in front of a friend's house whom I visited on the way home. I plan to bring her to a run in Virginia later this summer or in early fall, so there will be more photos then.

IMG_3490.jpeg

Last edited:
Back