My 68 Crown Coupe. The Saga...

dart165

Reaction score
When I was a kid, my father used to take me to all the cars shows around. An avid Mopar guy and lover of land yachts, he had his share of Imperials, from a 54 Cunningham car, to more than a few mid to late 60's convertibles. One of my earliest memories is going to a show in his blue 68 crown coupe. When I graduated school and started working in the automotive industry in Detroit, the money started coming back in after years of it going out, so I started looking to build my own collection of toys.

Chapter 1. "The Find"

I came across this car in 09 while perusing Craigslist. It came up in Tampa FL. The ad was vague, there were no pictures and it had the phrase "would make a great parts car" in it. Usually that's 3 strikes and I just move on, but for some reason, maybe curiosity, I decided to respond to it. I got a call from the gentleman and we talked at length about the car. Turns out that the the original buyers in 1968 were an older couple. They bought the car new new and used it sparingly until 1981. In the garage it went, and sat there until they passed and eventually their estate was handled. The previous owner saw it in the garage at the estate sale, and bought it on the spot. (I want to say this was around 2002) He had it towed to a storage unit, and proceeded to attempt to get it running. His mechanical know how was lacking, so when a battery and some gas down the carburetor didn't yield results, he was stumped. He bought a bunch of parts, and fiddled with a few odds and ends like removing the front grille to repaint behind it, but never really got much of anything done. For the most part, he ended up sitting on it until 09, when years of storage fees and absolutely no enjoyment of the car made him list it up for sale. I was definitely interested at this point, since he had told me that the car was 100% solid, undamaged, and complete. "Can you send me pictures?" I asked. "Sure! whats your address?" A week later an envelope of 3x5 photos showed up. They were of the car when he'd had it delivered to the unit almost a decade before. No recent shots, no close ups, no interior shots.

Again... perhaps someone with more sense would walk away... I decided to roll the dice. From what I got out of him on the interior, it was a base model black. Not the greatest of interiors but what the hell, I cant afford 5k to replace a leather interior anyway. So I hit him with an offer, sight unseen, and a week later the car was loaded on a transport truck and headed back to the city that it was made in.

much more to come... ;)

That's a beautiful Imp. Please post more detailed pictures when you get a chance.

That's fantastic!.....love to hear "bag n tag" stories accompanied with pics. The car looks decent, and 2dr Imp coup on top of all that. Can't wait to see/hear the rest of the story.

Chapter 2.) Arrival
The car showed up a week later, packed to the brim with stuff. At first glance, I almost had a heart attack, since everyone knows what the fate of interiors that double as parts storage… and this was PACKED. Upon inspection around the car, the guy’s statement of the car being rock solid was proved true. Aside from some pitting in the paint, and only light surface rust on the underside, the car was surprisingly straight!

The wifey approves :)

I started at the trunk and unloaded the car. The guy had definitely been stockpiling, and this is what I found:

Good starting point as it's an untouched original; still traces of the "coachlines" or pinstriping there.

Very nice find, look forward to more from you. Detroiter are you?

Great find looking forward to more updates. Welcome to the site.

Chapter 2.)

That's not even funny you braggart. The pics of the car were enough to enough to make me jealous.

thats not fair.jpg

thats not fair.jpg

lol a woman that loves a man that messes with all this big ol' junk is a keeper.

Alright back to the saga.

So next came the interior. Everything was packed in tight, but luckily it seems that the previous owner had enough foresight to cover up the seats with multiple blankets. When I got it cleared and removed the blankets, I was super surprised to find that it wasn’t the base black interior that he mentioned. It was chocolate leather with brocade inserts. On top of that, it was in great shape. The front driver and pass side bolsters were a little stressed, but the back seats looked like they had never been sat in ( the seat belts wrere still in the plastic wrap) and all the brocade was in perfect shape! He had liberally doused the carpets in baking soda so it would stay dry.

Option-wise the car is decently appointed, with p/w, p/seats, tilt/telescopic, am/fm stereo with rear speaker, and a/c

Man the score just keeps getting better! Not even a crack in the steering wheel!

Better get one of those club deals like Bob has or Matt might try to steal that wheel.

Back