Need a Radiator for my 73 New Yorker

73NewYorker

Reaction score
I have a 73 New Yorker and need a radiator. Mine is beyond repair, I bought a replacement used and it’s bad and can’t be rebuilt.

It has both outlets on the passenger side, and is a 3 row. The aluminum ones on eBay don’t fit…

IMG_5576.jpeg

IMG_5575.jpeg

IMG_5577.jpeg

Both of the originals are unable to be rebuilt.

Where in CA are you? San Jose Radiator is a good shop I recommend if you're within striking distance of the bay area.

The new radiator option linked above from US Radiator (w/ standard 3-row core) is $200 less than it cost me to recore my original a couple weeks ago. Maybe that $200 would be the shipping cost, though.

Copper/brass radiators aren't cheap especially with the out of control inflation going on. But, they are still a 40+ year solution.

If you buy a used one, there's no way to tell if it will work or not - probably full of sediment and corrosion, You spend all that cost and effort to find one, plus the time waiting for the seller, have it shipped, install it, then it leaks.

Aluminum will get you about 10 years worth of use.

@73NewYorker -- one possibility, correct if not cheap, is to go with Glen-ray Radiators. They deserve their name as "Home of the 26" Chrysler Corporation Licensed Reproduction Radiator".

PS: would be great if you would post photos of your NYB in the 1973 Chrysler Thread (including a pic the fender tag, ideally, for historical records). Thanks!

Where in CA are you? San Jose Radiator is a good shop I recommend if you're within striking distance of the bay area.

The new radiator option linked above from US Radiator (w/ standard 3-row core) is $200 less than it cost me to recore my original a couple weeks ago. Maybe that $200 would be the shipping cost, though.

Copper/brass radiators aren't cheap especially with the out of control inflation going on. But, they are still a 40+ year solution.

If you buy a used one, there's no way to tell if it will work or not - probably full of sediment and corrosion, You spend all that cost and effort to find one, plus the time waiting for the seller, have it shipped, install it, then it leaks.

Aluminum will get you about 10 years worth of use.
If you live in Southern California a very good source of great radiator recoring is Fontana Radiator service. From what I have observed with my excellent Glen Ray Radiators, this shop uses the same cores as Glen Ray and they are the best cores available. I want the best because as you must know, it gets very hot here and when I am driving in traffic with the a/c on, the 440s do get hot even with the factory ones - but these are much better than factory and this source rivals the excellent workmanship of the Glen Ray brand. They come back looking better than new and there is nothing better if you value originality and capability to achieve excellent cooling. The prices for a 26" radiator recore with the best cooling, highest efficiency cores runs about $1200. Glen Ray is in the same ball park but shipping cost to California from back East make this more local option a very good one.

If you attend the yearly Spring Fling shows in Van Nuys, CA though, Glen Ray Radiators comes out here once a year to display their products and if you get your radiator recored with them, they will drop the shipping costs but you would have to wait a year for that turnaround.

How is that possible?

That’s who I bought the second one from which ended up being non fixable.

What does "non fixable" mean and according to who?

I interpret a non fixable radiator to mean that it can't be recored which means that the top, bottom tank are damaged beyond repair.

Unless you were trying to just have it rodded out....

What does "non fixable" mean and according to who?

I interpret a non fixable radiator to mean that it can't be recored which means that the top, bottom tank are damaged beyond repair.

Unless you were trying to just have it rodded out....
They pressure tested it and it was leaking and popping more holes apparently. I’m going to have them picked up and keep both. I’ll send them to my house here in CA and see if I have any luck. For the moment though I need something to put in for now.

They pressure tested it and it was leaking and popping more holes apparently. I’m going to have them picked up and keep both. I’ll send them to my house here in CA and see if I have any luck. For the moment though I need something to put in for now.

That sounds like a nice repairable radiator.

Back