Need help decoding 69 Fury III Body Tag

thood1954

Reaction score
Tag was on drivers side of core support.

A01 L31 R11 END

R6 R6 M4X X9 103 829815

E44 D31

The rest is the VIN. Any info would be great,thank you!

A01=light package
L31=hood/fender T.S.
R11=AM radio
R6=red paint
R6=red paint in other words, painted top, no vinyl.
M4X=Medium/vinyl split bench with center armrest
X9=black upper door frame paint
103=January third '69
E44=318
D31=904 auto trans.

Thanks, detmatt, some of the info matches what the former owner told me. Most of it I did not know. Thanks again!

No, my FSM says that number is the sequence number. Used for factory production control.

Yeah that # means very little to us and is only something found on the fender tag and nowhere else.

Hey Thood, if you can manage to get a photo of the shape of the transmission pan on this car i would love to see it, i havent ever seen a 904 in a Cbody before. :)

Hey Thood, if you can manage to get a photo of the shape of the transmission pan on this car i would love to see it, i havent ever seen a 904 in a Cbody before. :)

The 70 Sport Fury I had was a factory 318/904 and 8 1/4 combo. I spoke with the original owner who special ordered it that way....why...for weight savings, and better fuel economy. He was a traveling sales man, selling leather products, and wanted as big a car as he could get, but also as light as he could make it too.

The 70 Sport Fury I had was a factory 318/904 and 8 1/4 combo. I spoke with the original owner who special ordered it that way....why...for weight savings, and better fuel economy. He was a traveling sales man, selling leather products, and wanted as big a car as he could get, but also as light as he could make it too.
Yah i can see that happening, special orders allow you to mix and match a fair bit, I do know the 904 takes thirty percent less power to run so that in itself would make a big difference. I wonder how the reliability was?

Yah i can see that happening, special orders allow you to mix and match a fair bit, I do know the 904 takes thirty percent less power to run so that in itself would make a big difference. I wonder how the reliability was?

When I got the car it was still all original. I drove it that way for a couple years until I swapped in a 360/727 combo. I never had any issue with the 904...performance was good.

I've seen it referred as both names - special order number and shipping order number. Perhaps this changed in some year from one to the other? I just looked in one of the Govier decoder books, and it does state "shipping order number" for '66 - '68, anyway. I don't have the later books right in front of me. So, I'll have to go with "shipping..." vs "special..." I freely admit if I am incorrect.

Cant guarantee any pic too soon. Its in the teens right now and supposed to go down to zero in the next few days!

Just that, END of sales codes on that tag. If there were two tags for one car the first tag would have a CTD on it denoting the continuation of codes on the second tag.

Fleet cars like police or taxi would have a tag that said special order or special mask special paint.

Last edited:
AAR and T/A cars had a tag that said "TRANS AM". There was a '76 Gran Fury four-door here in OKC years ago that was serial number SIX, as in 100006, and had a tag that said PILOT CAR, along with the fender tag.

Back