Need opinions on these new pistons please

Cartel

Reaction score
I just got these in the mail. The sealed power box seal was broken and some pistons dont have matched serial numbers.
Almost all the pistons are dented or have a gouge and the 3 pistons that are odd serial numbered have a different machined surface on the bottom of the pin shoulders.
Is this acceptable or should I be pissed?

thanks

DSC01919.JPG
DSC01920.JPG
DSC01921.JPG
DSC01922.JPG
DSC01923.JPG
DSC01924.JPG
DSC01925.JPG
DSC01926.JPG
DSC01927.JPG
DSC01928.JPG

I would contact the seller and express your concerns.
ok but should they all have the same serial number? is it normal to see some handling defects?
Last time I had new pistons in my hands was 1993
I will contact them but I just need to be sure of what I'm seeing here

Ok the serial number is no big deal and the different machine marks are to be expected by some manufacturers. The blemishes are a concern but I don’t see anything that could not be easily cleaned up and run.

As far as being pissed about a feebay purchase, I say it depends on how they were advertised. I would have to read the ad first. If you post up the seller’s description I could give you my opinion.

Ok the serial number is no big deal and the different machine marks are to be expected by some manufacturers. The blemishes are a concern but I don’t see anything that could not be easily cleaned up and run.

As far as being pissed about a feebay purchase, I say it depends on how they were advertised. I would have to read the ad first. If you post up the seller’s description I could give you my opinion.
they are supposed to be factory sealed set of 8 matched pistons. I even asked if they are for sure sealed and they said it was. I'm not buying it. The seal was broke on the factory box. maybe shipping did it? who knows. I'm gonna complain and if I buy another set somewhere else I want them to inspect the seal and put more protection around the pistons and maybe even take a picture of each one.
I would assume the pistons should be all identical. Ebay is known to ditch damaged factory rejects and such and just blame it on shipping too so its anybodies guess

2024190.jpg

Some of those marks are from mishandling. One of the chances you take with eBay purchases is it's either stuff that's been sitting around for years, something that's been bought and returned and/or a mixed set of good parts from damaged sets. In this case, I would say that a "set" of pistons will weigh the same. A mixed set may have different weights.

Some of the marks are left over from manufacturing.

Regarding the marks, there's really nothing there that is going to cause any real problems. Although I say that by only looking at the pictures. You may need to lightly dress some marks down with a small file or sand paper, add you will want to have the rotating assembly balanced anyway, so that should have the pistons all matched when said and done.

Pistons are a precision part and should be handled as such. Unfortunately that doesn't always happen. Damage often occurs from pistons banging into each other when handling.

they are supposed to be factory sealed set of 8 matched pistons. I even asked if they are for sure sealed and they said it was. I'm not buying it. The seal was broke on the factory box. maybe shipping did it? who knows. I'm gonna complain and if I buy another set somewhere else I want them to inspect the seal and put more protection around the pistons and maybe even take a picture of each one.
I would assume the pistons should be all identical. Ebay is known to ditch damaged factory rejects and such and just blame it on shipping too so its anybodies guess

View attachment 670328
I would contact them through eBay, tell them what you have and give them the opportunity to make it right. If they don't, open a case against them through eBay.

Some of those marks are from mishandling. One of the chances you take with eBay purchases is it's either stuff that's been sitting around for years, something that's been bought and returned and/or a mixed set of good parts from damaged sets. In this case, I would say that a "set" of pistons will weigh the same. A mixed set may have different weights.

Some of the marks are left over from manufacturing.

Regarding the marks, there's really nothing there that is going to cause any real problems. Although I say that by only looking at the pictures. You may need to lightly dress some marks down with a small file or sand paper, add you will want to have the rotating assembly balanced anyway, so that should have the pistons all matched when said and done.

Pistons are a precision part and should be handled as such. Unfortunately that doesn't always happen. Damage often occurs from pistons banging into each other when handling.
2024191.jpg
We'll see what happens but it should be factory sealed sets. I cant see the factory putting 3 different serials in 1 box.
actually looking closer, 4 different pistons.
I would say 4 of these are from another set or sets.
23170-PA11-C
23170-PA11-B
23166-PA11-C
23169-PA11-A

I would guess A B C is weights? 23 year 170 days pa11 the plant?
These pistons or discontinued so I have no choice but ebay or someone that wants double and the same risk or worse no ebay protection.

View attachment 670328
I say you have every right to be upset if they said the package was sealed. If the seller will not address your concerns, file a dispute and eBay will be on your side, they are always on the buyer’s side now days.

Definitely contact the seller via eBay and explain your concerns. The issues with serial numbers don't really concern me, BUT the damage to the friction areas does. The issues with the balance pad area are not significant, either, as long as the weights are the same, so find a digital postal scale (even at your local post office, during off-peak times) and check and record each one.

Packaging? Put more protection around each one? Were these pistons loose in one box, with a cardboard divider or packed in individually-sealed boxes? Some "warehouse wear" from contact with the cardboard during shipping might be acceptable, BUT not the nicks and such. Other than basic clean-up, they should be "ready to install" when received. In this case, "not useable" for many.

These pistons are probably "rebuilder pack", if they came in one box, rather than "retail pack", which would have been individually packaged, I suspect. That's why the price was probably less than other sellers? As such, they were not really meant to be shipped "cross country" but delivered from their distributor's warehouse to the machine shop. HOPEFULLY INSURANCE WAS PURCHASED as one of the first things the seller can claim is that if it was "shipping damage", then "it's not their deal", but the shipper's deal.

The broken factory seal might be a moot point unless the seller inspected the items prior to shipping them. But if that is the case, then a notation should have been made on the box of such an inspection prior to shipping, it seems. In one respect, a good seller should inspect what is being shipped out, but that could also depend upon the orientation of the people doing the shipping themselves AND if they might know what they are looking at.

Good luck!
CBODY67

They came is a retail box BUT the code on the box is 23172 so the pistons should be 23172-pa11-*
So not the original box.
It was not taped closed and no dividers for the 4 middle pistons in the box. You can see where the pistons have impacted the box multiple times then that box was in a huge box with room to fly around they but about 5 feet of brown paper in there with it...
seller says this was shipped from the factory this way.

and it may be, the seller is in Louisiana and the tracking shows picked up in Indiana

Picked up
SOUTH BEND, IN 46628
thats where federal mogul is too

This is the second company I dealt with on ebay that sells old rejects and then says it was shipping damage, thats what I think.
These companies are running a scam with this shipping loophole.
Guess I'll call federal and ask them what they think ( am on the phone now and they say they ship out of Tennesee so this is getting interesting, I'm on hold to get more info on the codes) (he didnt know much about the codes.)

**I put the pistons in the big brown box and ran the paper myself so they dont get bashed more while I figure this out. that paper was just loose in the box with the piston box which is a sad excuse for packing material.

and thanks for the replies

2024192.jpg
DSC01938.JPG
DSC01939.JPG
DSC01940.JPG
DSC01941.JPG
DSC01942.JPG
DSC01943.JPG
DSC01945.JPG
DSC01946.JPG
DSC01947.JPG

Last edited:
I buy a lot on Ebay (but usually not car parts) and it all really comes down to the price you paid. If it was an unbeatable price then if they're usable I would just accept them as is. If you paid top dollar and they are not what they were advertised to be, then I would make an issue of it.

The dents on the ring land area, make sure the rings are not tight there. The rings need to move freely in the grooves.

Other than that just take off any high spots and have the engine balanced.

Or return them and get them from summit or jegs. Even if they cost a bit more

Or return them and get them from summit or jegs. Even if they cost a bit more
2024192.jpg

Then I get to deal with summit.
at least ebay I get all my money back. These are supposed to be brand new. I live in Canada BTW

Back