New forum..old face

boab june 2017 001.JPG
boab june 2017 002.JPG
Thanks guys!
Got me brudder Sheldon help me today install the front vent wings and front doors side glass.
A two man job especially when avoiding scratching the fresh paint.
The tinted glass now matches the replacement windshield.
The cursing begins adjusting the glass to fit the body and the rear window glass. On a 4 door hardtop,this can be a pain.
But well worth the effort.
Small stuff compared to what the BoaB and I have been through the last few years.
Breathing life back into this car is very satisfying.
Note that the body line on the doors are now aligned.

The left mirror belonged to my sweetheart 68 VIP.
She has been gone for 17 years,so include the time I had her this mirror has been with me for over 20 years.
A good cleaning,buff and polish,good as new.
Sure is has stone chip marks and a few pits,but a sentimental part of history.
When I look into that mirror I can "reflect" on the good times I had with that car,LOL
Me and my sweeheart,christmas 1996.

Old pics 032.jpg
boab june 2017 016.JPG
boab june 2017 017.JPG

Next up are the rear door windows.
These are more challenging,and complicated.
I have to re-use the Boab's bottom glass frames and install the tinted glass.
Then try to get the rear windows algined and work properly at the same time.
Years of storage had them collect a thick film of dirt,LOL
boab june 2017 018.JPG

Sidebar...I broke the trunk light switch when prepping the BoaB for paint.
Scored this NOS one on e pay.
Also installed the jack instructions..
boab june 2017 013.JPG
boab june 2017 012.JPG

I washed the BoaB one day and the rear window leaked badly.
I bought this stuff as recommended by my glass installer and it works!
Not pretty,but the trim will hide my hasty repair..
boab june 2017 008.JPG

The rear door glass was an all afternoon affair. But rushing this may have resulted in broken glass and bloodshed.
The stainless trim has screws hidden behind the weatherstripping and came off easy to access the skinny long front portion of the glass frame.
joisey 2017 boab july 033.JPG

joisey 2017 boab july 038.JPG
joisey 2017 boab july 036.JPG
Two reasons I had to use my original frames and toss the frames the tinted glass were in.
Rambo tried rolling down the window when it was stuck..and bent the frame on the left all to hell.
Secondly,the other frame was broken and the glass was flippy floppy like someone pried it outwards to use a coat hanger when they locked the keys in the car..
This is die cast metal like what Hot Wheels are made of and can break when handled roughly.

The rollers that are riveted to the frames got serviced.
They have to swivel,twist and roll all at the same time-and spring loaded!
I was there anyways and using a piece of track,they now move freely with no binding.
joisey 2017 boab july 037.JPG

Installation of the glass into the frames and the doors require 2 people.
Stay tuned while I get some help!!

Good to see more progress.

The quarter window frames on my convertible were broken like that too. My solution was to drill a hole through the stainless trim and the lower part of the frame and then use a t-nut and a thin headed screw to reinforce the joint. If you do this at the very bottom of the trim it is almost completely hidden by the rubber seal. Makes those floppy windows nice and tight.

When you don't have any money to send things out to get done,yet have the resources,all you have to do is apply yourself.
That being said,I finished the rear door glass today.
With the epoxy I had,I followed its instructions to roughen the surface.
I masked off the glass and used 200 grit paper where the glass goes into the track.
boab july 2017 005.JPG

Using a straight blade and glass cleaner,I cleaned the mating surface and removed any scum and old adhesive.
boab july 2017 006.JPG

The 5 minute epoxy was more like 2-3 minutes!
I test fitted the glass first,than applied the epoxy.
Using a rubber mallet,I tapped the frame---not the glass-- until it bottomed out into the frame.
boab july 2017 007.JPG

I wet sanded,buffed and polished the glass' stainless trim.
Being between the two doors,they do tell a story of keys locked in the car based on the scratches made by coat hangers,screwdrivers,and possibly slim-jims.
boab july 2017 010.JPG

boab july 2017 011.JPG

Back