New member intro : '57 Desoto Firesweep

Thanks for the comment on the car. OK on your location, we must be fairly close. I am close to Champion Forest Dr. and Spring-Cypress Rd.

I was going to take the Desoto Firesweep to the upholstery shop and the chrome plating shop this morning to get some quotes, but had a problem with the car on 249. As I increased speed to around 60 mph, the car would bog down. I got off 249 headed home. After checking a number of things, I finally found the culprit to be the fuel filter at the inlet of the carb. For now, I removed the ceramic filter from the glass bowl and put in a in-line filter. I don't know if the ceramic filters are made any more or not, but all is OK now. I guess I'll go on my quote trip tomorrow.

I am in Gleanloch. Are you a couple of blocks south of Walgreens?
i bought a Sun Tach from a guy in that area a couple of years ago.
It's scary to break down on 249, too many folks with no place to go way too fast.
trying to remember who has the old ceramic filters these days. There used to be someone in Denton who specialized in 40's thru early '70's Caddy's. He bought a whole bunch of ceramic filters just to get the Cadillac stuff. Let me see if I can find his number.

I am in Gleanloch. Are you a couple of blocks south of Walgreens?
i bought a Sun Tach from a guy in that area a couple of years ago.
It's scary to break down on 249, too many folks with no place to go way too fast.
trying to remember who has the old ceramic filters these days. There used to be someone in Denton who specialized in 40's thru early '70's Caddy's. He bought a whole bunch of ceramic filters just to get the Cadillac stuff. Let me see if I can find his number.

That was me you bought the tach from. I think you and your son came by if I remember correctly. As you said, I'm just a couple blocks south of the Walgreens. Thanks for checking into the ceramic filter, I hope he has a source for them.

I have the '53 Ford I was working on when you came by up for sale. If you know of anyone that would like a mild custom '53 Ford, please steer them my way. Here is a link to the ad I have on Craig's List for it.

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4420435163.html

My plan for today was to replace the bushing in the idler arm and replace the canister oil filter with a spin on filter adapter. Getting the tapered joint out of the idler that is part of the drag link turned out to be a bigger chore than expected. I finally got it out and found that the ball assembly in the tapered fitting was shot so I had to order a new drag link which hopefully will be here in a week or so. Removing the old bushing from the idler was no fun either, but got it out and installed the new bushing. I will finish the install on the the spin on oil filter adapter tomorrow.

filter and bushing 001.jpgfilter and bushing 002.jpgfilter and bushing 003.jpgfilter and bushing 004.jpgfilter and bushing 005.jpgfilter and bushing 006.jpgfilter and bushing 007.jpg

filter and bushing 001.jpg

filter and bushing 002.jpg

filter and bushing 003.jpg

filter and bushing 004.jpg

filter and bushing 005.jpg

filter and bushing 006.jpg

filter and bushing 007.jpg

Obtained a couple items that I installed today. I now have a warning light for the parking brake as well as a courtesy light just above the glove box door. I made a new lens for the courtesy light and replaced the old wiring. I really needed the parking brake warning light. At least two times, I've driven off with the parking brake engaged.

dash lights 002.jpgdash lights 001.jpgdash lights 005.jpgdash lights 006.jpgdash lights 007.jpgdash lights 008.jpg

dash lights 001.jpg

dash lights 002.jpg

dash lights 005.jpg

dash lights 006.jpg

dash lights 007.jpg

dash lights 008.jpg

Made a couple tools today to help in removing the clips used to fasten the "DESOTO" letters onto the hood and trunk plus a tool to remove the clips that fasten the chrome trim piece that surrounds the license to the trunk lid. The "DESOTO" tool is just a brake spoon with a notch that is wide enough to capture the pin on the letter. The other tool is made from 1/2" bar stock with a hole at one end that is chamfered a bit.

trim clips 006.jpgtrim clips 005.jpg

trim clips 006.jpg

trim clips 005.jpg

Started removing the various trim pieces today. All went well, and so-far no surprises under the various pieces of trim. No rust areas and the clips came out fairly easy.

trim removal 009.jpgtrim removal 001.jpgtrim removal 002.jpgtrim removal 003.jpgtrim removal 004.jpgtrim removal 005.jpgtrim removal 006.jpgtrim removal 007.jpgtrim removal 008.jpgtrim removal 010.jpg

trim removal 001.jpg

trim removal 002.jpg

trim removal 003.jpg

trim removal 004.jpg

trim removal 005.jpg

trim removal 006.jpg

trim removal 007.jpg

trim removal 008.jpg

trim removal 009.jpg

trim removal 010.jpg

Removing the trim and emblems on a 60 + year old car can be a tedious job. A lot of patience and some inginuity such as you have shown will pay off when time comes to reinstall the parts.

Was this a formerly gold paintjob or just the left front fender replaced with a originally one in gold as I see traces in places where the trim was removed ?

Was this a formerly gold paintjob or just the left front fender replaced with a originally one in gold as I see traces in places where the trim was removed ?
The left front fender was replaced. I guess Harriet, the original owner had a fender bender and they elected to replace the fender.

The left front fender was replaced. I guess Harriet, the original owner had a fender bender and they elected to replace the fender.

That's funny. Whenever there's something about a Little old Lady like a DeSoto first owner or some house keeper in the Perry Mason TV-Show you expect her to be named Harriet.

I prove it every time possible to my gf as her father named her the same while she doesn't look it at all. :)

That's funny. Whenever there's something about a Little old Lady like a DeSoto first owner or some house keeper in the Perry Mason TV-Show you expect her to be named Harriet.

I prove it every time possible to my gf as her father named her the same while she doesn't look it at all. :)

She must have been pretty independent in 1957 or 1958 to buy the car in her name. I know that she was married and they had a farm in rural Iowa. The name on the title was Harriet Margaret Roetman.

Car is now at the body shop and all the trim parts are removed for polishing or chrome plating. Next step is to strip the car to bare metal and fix the rusted area at the leading edge of the left side rear wheel well. The rest of the car is rust free, but lots of small dings to take care of.
body shop 003.jpgbody shop 004.jpgbody shop 005.jpgbody shop 006.jpgbody shop 007.jpgbody shop 008.jpg

body shop 003.jpg

body shop 004.jpg

body shop 005.jpg

body shop 006.jpg

body shop 007.jpg

body shop 008.jpg

Don't blame you for repainting it, but I'd also consider it leaving as is with partial repaint if rust repairs in visible Areas are necessary, having the dings pushed/pulled out with the smart repair techniques that usually don't crack the paint.

I'm not criticizing for repainting just saying it's nice enough and would great as is with small dings fixed like you said cm23uoc

The pictures make the car's paint look better than it is. The replacement left front fender has cracks all through the paint. I hear what you are saying, but as they say "to each his own".

[QUOTE=baker53;163417] I hear what you are saying, but as they say "to each his own".[/QUOTE]

I agree. While I can appreciate a nice original survivor, (it's only original once), there comes a time when you need to move beyond the original "patina" and make the car as nice as can be. In the case of your De Soto, a fresh finish is the right thing to do.

Back