New member intro : '57 Desoto Firesweep

Bill, which shop are you using for paint? I have two almost ready and have been looking for someone.

The stripping process has begun. Top of hood stripped; now moving to front fenders.

body shop work 001.jpgbody shop work 002.jpgbody shop work 003.jpgbody shop work 004.jpgbody shop work 005.jpg

body shop work 001.jpg

body shop work 002.jpg

body shop work 003.jpg

body shop work 004.jpg

body shop work 005.jpg

And that's the gentlest....
You'd have to do countless Sand - Prime - Fill - Spray using the progressive grit method. The "easier" method to get the same smoothness you already have once you chemically remove??

Car is pretty much stripped. Now hood, trunk lid and doors come off to get to the old paint on underside of them. Only have two places where bondo was applied in the past and they should be fairly quick to get back to flat metal. No rust on the body other than the left side rear wheel opening leading edge. So very pleased with the condition of the body.

body shop work 008.jpgbody shop work 019.jpgbody shop work 018.jpgbody shop work 016.jpgbody shop work 014.jpgbody shop work 012.jpgbody shop work 011.jpgbody shop work 010.jpgbody shop work 009.jpgbody shop work 031.jpg

body shop work 008.jpg

body shop work 009.jpg

body shop work 010.jpg

body shop work 011.jpg

body shop work 012.jpg

body shop work 014.jpg

body shop work 016.jpg

body shop work 018.jpg

body shop work 019.jpg

body shop work 031.jpg

Looking for package tray speaker grill and a pair of front parking light lens's for a '57 Desoto Firesweep.

Doors, hood, & trunk lid are off. Body work on them is in process and the first pass of the metal etching primer has been applied.
body shop work 042.jpgbody shop work 044.jpgbody shop work 049.jpgbody shop work 050.jpgbody shop work 052.jpg

body shop work 042.jpg

body shop work 044.jpg

body shop work 049.jpg

body shop work 050.jpg

body shop work 052.jpg

Nice ......... So what do you do in your spare time Bill ...?? :poke:

Thanks. This project is keeping me from playing out in the street with broken glass. Being retired, I have quite a bit of free time. As they say every day is Saturday. I've been working on the vent windows this evening and was really pleased to see how well the rubber seals around the vent windows are. I'm not sure what was put on the rubber parts before I got the car, but so-far all have been in great condition. I have ordered new door, trunk, and upper window seals in that they had to come off for the re-paint. Tomorrow I need to source some "U" channel for the windows and nickel bead for the doors and window moldings.

Today's tasks included polishing tail light lenses and repairing the aluminum door sill plates. I used some 3M polishing compound and the tail lights cleaned up very well. My drivers side sill plate was really corroded on the forward vertical part. I tried to find some replacements, but $$$. I ended up taking a piece of .038" aluminum and making overlays for the old door sills and put a small bend on the lower 3/8" like the original. I haven't decided if I will use rivets or adhesive to attach the overlays, but I leaning towards the adhesive.

body shop work 054.jpgbody shop work 055.jpgbody shop work 056.jpgbody shop work 057.jpgbody shop work 058.jpgbody shop work 059.jpg

body shop work 054.jpg

body shop work 055.jpg

body shop work 056.jpg

body shop work 057.jpg

body shop work 058.jpg

body shop work 059.jpg

Today's tasks included polishing tail light lenses and repairing the aluminum door sill plates. I used some 3M polishing compound and the tail lights cleaned up very well. My drivers side sill plate was really corroded on the forward vertical part. I tried to find some replacements, but $$$. I ended up taking a piece of .038" aluminum and making overlays for the old door sills and put a small bend on the lower 3/8" like the original. I haven't decided if I will use rivets or adhesive to attach the overlays, but I leaning towards the adhesive.

Thats a good idea for your sill plate restoration Bill. The sill plate from my 61 Fury are in about the same condition. I've not had much luck locating any so I may try your idea. I think adhesive would be he way to go also.
Tail light lenses look good. I got lucky and located a NOS pair.

Thats a good idea for your sill plate restoration Bill. The sill plate from my 61 Fury are in about the same condition. I've not had much luck locating any so I may try your idea. I think adhesive would be he way to go also.
Tail light lenses look good. I got lucky and located a NOS pair.
I saw an ad on TV for Gorilla glue. I think I will buy some of it and see how it does on some scrap aluminum first. If it performs like Gorilla duct tape, I will be using it.

I saw an ad on TV for Gorilla glue. I think I will buy some of it and see how it does on some scrap aluminum first. If it performs like Gorilla duct tape, I will be using it.

I've had good luck with JB weld. It's a great all around epoxy. Once cured it should never come apart on a fix like that.

Welcome Baker and thanks for sharing your great car with us. I've neen quietly following along on your progress.

Regarding the the gorilla glue.... It expands as it sets which may not work for your intended purpose .... Good for some things, sand able, paintable, cures with humidity and great on wood.

Keep up the great progress and quality.

Javier

Welcome Baker and thanks for sharing your great car with us. I've neen quietly following along on your progress.

Regarding the the gorilla glue.... It expands as it sets which may not work for your intended purpose .... Good for some things, sand able, paintable, cures with humidity and great on wood.

Keep up the great progress and quality.

Javier

Thanks Javier. I think I will use the JB Weld after reading your comments. Thanks again.

Back