NOS Bearing.

67-Fury

Reaction score
I found what i believe is a pinion bearing in a box of car parts i have. I was told it is from 50-51? Does anyone know what Rear end this would be for?
0411182117a.jpg
0411182117.jpg

if any of the rollers or the internal race has any rust on it, it is probably junk as rust causes pitting.

Dave

If you don't have parts books that go that far back you might be able to look it up by the Timken number on the bearing.
X2 on the rust, a little goes a long way, and it wouldn't be worth the risk of having to tear a differential back apart to risk using a rusty bearing, and having it fail shortly after it was installed. Bottom line, if it has any rust on it, other than the cage, it's scrap.

Pinion bearing for an 8 3/4 rear with a 1 3/4" stem. Fits a bunch of cars from the early 50's to 1972. Fits a bunch of Fords too.

More Information for TIMKEN HM89443

Search Rock Auto for Timken HM89443 to give you applications.

But, as everyone said, it's not usable and you can buy new ones all day for less than $20. Leave it on the shelf in the cool old box.

I can remember when a bearing like that would be coated in cosomoline and or wrapped in a cosomoline waxed paper... Question, about what time did that end?

When I saved old bearings that's what I did, shot of cosomoline, wrap with paper, back into the box, marked used.

I can remember when a bearing like that would be coated in cosomoline and or wrapped in a cosomoline waxed paper... Question, about what time did that end?

When I saved old bearings that's what I did, shot of cosomoline, wrap with paper, back into the box, marked used.
That's actually a very good point... If that was a true NOS, it would be wrapped and oiled.

That's why I say NOS parts are a crap shoot.

It was wraped in a brown paper when i opened the box, but the box was damaged and the paper was brittle. Poorly stored and cared for.

It was wraped in a brown paper when i opened the box, but the box was damaged and the paper was brittle. Poorly stored and cared for.
The brown paper is usually a rust preventative wrap. It can only do so much though.

it just a display piece now , with the condish its in . cool boxes aren't they . have a few of them and earlier ones . but i collect every thing it seems , lol .

it just a display piece now , with the condish its in . cool boxes aren't they . have a few of them and earlier ones . but i collect every thing it seems , lol .
Yeah I see pictures of your collection from time to time and I always get very jealous. Cool boxes indeed and I always like to see parts that have USA on them.

there you go , the packaging boxes are cool old school designs , from passed to present here . the two in the second pic are still holding factory tranny output bearings . just got some trans output bearings in old school packaging and there the right part number , this time . lol ! and the brand new bearing is one of three i bought , again tranny output shaft bearings
DSC00512.JPG
DSC00513.JPG
DSC00514.JPG

Back