Not Happy With What I Found

mrzods13

Reaction score
Well took the intake manifold of today to reseal it because there was some oil in the valley pan, further inspection I found something really messed up it looks like there is a crack in the head by one of the bolt holes. I looked in the bolt hole with a mirror and the crack doesn't go into there. Here's a picture of it not happy right now. I looked at pictures before I upgraded the cam and zoomed in and it was there already.
20140427_110500.jpg

20140427_110500.jpg

20140427_110500.jpg

Yep all that work looks like I need new heads. Maybe the overheating while breaking the cam in was too much. 230 must have did it in or the cam is too much for it.

That is bad, sorry for your luck on that. Who did your heads for you?

This is what happens when you listen to other people, I was going to take the heads to get checked but my father in law said they were fine, that's what happens when you listen to others advice. Stuff happens, I guess this will just have to be put on hold for a while. Now I have to hunt down decent 383 heads. I am almost 100% that there were no cracks before we did the cam, maybe it is too much for the heads.

Well I learned my lesson, don't take advice from anyone and shut the car off.

The problem is finding heads for a reasonable price, I don't have the money for aluminum heads, my father in law is living in the past, he said summit has bare stock cast iron cylinder heads for $90 each yea maybe 20 years ago Unless they sell something I don't know about.

906 heads or 452 heads? 452's aren't too hard to find with a little bit of hunting and on average will set you back about 100 bucks a pair. plus 452's have got plenty of mat in them and have got hardened exhaust valve seats.

The ones I have now are 906s stock original heads. 68 Newport 383.

Yah, any big block heads will fit so you dont necessarily need to go original numbers matching, 906 heads will need hardened valve seats fitted to run regular, are you looking for 906's specifically to retain numbers originality?

I have a couple of spare sets of heads and will check to see what i have tomorrow in my garage if you are interested.

How is the condition have they been magnafluxed for cracks. sorry man i have to ask. Figured I would get hardened seat added when I get a set. All I would need are the heads and buy new valves considering the comp cams kit has about a 30 minute run time on them. I looked at the cam and all the lobes are in good shape no metal missing. Pushrods are new nothing is loose. valve seals and springs are new too. Let me know PM me the details I am interested.

OKay i had a look at the two sets of spare heads i have, i havent had them magnafluxed no, but i also noticed that both sets are 346 castings, I am not sure how good performance wise these heads stack up against 906's and I am thinking its probably best to hunt for a pair of heads you know are crack free/ magnafluxed already.

Yea if the 452s fit and I can use the stock rocker arms and shafts and pushrods and no mods are needed then I will look for those, not worried about numbers matching all I want is to have it run good and drive it.

You should be able to find a set of good used 906's fairly cheap. I wouldn't go to the expense of changing to hardened seats, unless you will be driving it a lot. Only the exhaust needs to have it done, the intake seat is cooled down somewhat from the fuel charge. I wish you luck.

Yea there is a really big swap meet at the car show I am going to on Sunday so hopefully I can find ones that have been checked already or cheap enough so I can get everything done.

Back