Not Happy With What I Found

Yea if the 452s fit and I can use the stock rocker arms and shafts and pushrods and no mods are needed then I will look for those, not worried about numbers matching all I want is to have it run good and drive it.
The 452's are definitely interchangeable with what you have already and yes the rockers etc will retrofit onto them no issues at all. all head interchange between all big blocks with the only real difference being the very early heads which had four bolt holes for the rockers compared to the 6 were are used to. The other difference is the very early ones i htink did not have cast in rocker shaft mounts. Lastly is there were a one year 440 head that had closed chambers, 1967 i think? great for increasing compression ratio.

The 67 915 heads do have closed chambers and they were 1 year only but there are others than are closed chambers as well .. 516's for one and similar to 915's minus the 1.74 exhaust valves. 516s have 1.60 ex but same 2.08 intake.

The 452's will work for you as good as 906's and they 452's came with hardened exhaust seat but that will be gone after the valve job is done most likely. The hardening is not very deep.

That's a first for me never saw one crack there. Any 65 up head will work close chamber will raise compression ratio 452 and 346 will lower I would not sweat the hardened seats unless you are planing 20k a year every year or you have a really aggressive can and springs, solid stick or roller its hype made true by gm's low nickel iron for the pedestrian engines, Chrysler used the same iron for everything..... quality. Hell I would epoxy the back side and reseal the intake off and running if it last ten thousand miles a win win, that would take me 5-7 years to put on.

Get it pressure tested by a good local machine shop. That crack is not near a combustion chamber or a water port so it most likey will be perfectly useable.

With all the work I just did I will just keep it and put another one on and still vet it tested. A mopar guy by my hiuse wants $250 for a virgin pair as he calls it of stock originals. Now by virgin he either means untouched as far as being used or never torn down.

Yea he also had 346 heads off of a 71 cuda just collecting dust and wanted $250, I offered him $200 being I still want to get them checked because I am not taking someones word for it and he won't budge, he just said they will probably be there 20 years from now if you don't buy them, I am greatful he let me in his shop because he doesn't sell anything from his personal stuff but you can't take it with you when you die so $50 is a big deal I guess, its not like I said $100 and low balled him. It is what it is.

Here are pics of each set of heads, the first three pics are the first set, the second set had been dipped to remove all paint hence the rusty stains on them. Both sets show no visible cracks anywhere but i have not had them magnafluxed. $100 per pair.
headsA.jpgheadsA1.jpgheadsA2.jpgheadsB.jpgheadsB1.jpgheadsB2.jpg

headsA.jpg

headsA1.jpg

headsA2.jpg

headsB.jpg

headsB1.jpg

headsB2.jpg

The 67 915 heads do have closed chambers and they were 1 year only but there are others than are closed chambers as well .. 516's for one and similar to 915's minus the 1.74 exhaust valves. 516s have 1.60 ex but same 2.08 intake.
I would say most 915s had 1.60 ex valves unless they were HP units, then they had the 1.74s.

I would say most 915s had 1.60 ex valves unless they were HP units, then they had the 1.74s.

I swapped out from 1.60's to 1.74's in the 915 set I have, but I've never heard the 915s were that common on non HP engines

I've got a pair of each and I believe the HP units are far less common than the standard 915s. There were 3 different casting #s in '67 according to my parts book, the 915s, the 516s and one I've never seen before, the 158.

I've got a pair of each and I believe the HP units are far less common than the standard 915s. There were 3 different casting #s in '67 according to my parts book, the 915s, the 516s and one I've never seen before, the 158.

I got the 915's off my 67 SF's 383 2 BBL engine but I thought it was an assembly line mistake since I think those motors were supposed to have 516's. I assumed they must have been running short of 516 castings and started using the 915's and machining some for the small valves in them to keep up production of non HP engines. However never read any real details on it.

Back