Off topic 5.7 Magnum slight lifter noise.

WOT440

Reaction score
Anyone with a 5.7 Hemi engine have any recommendations to extend lifter life. I have a 2015 Ram with the 5.7 w/119k and have the slightest of lifter noise. I would like to hear any opinions or advice for engine oils, or whatever. At four thousand to replace the lifters from dealer, I am considering a Jasper rebuilt engine first... No quote yet. All opinions and recommendations welcome. Thx.
Dodge/RAM 5.7L HEMI | JASPER® Engines & Transmissions

20240303_081709.jpg

There was one late-model RAM owner who claimed the Hemi Tick went away if he went up to 10W-30 motor oil. The OEMs have to recommend/advocate for the oil viscosity they used to run the EPA emissions and mpg testings. Usually, there are other choices in the owner's manual.

REIGNITED YT channel advocates using a Mellings HV oil pump to fix the lube issue on the rear roller lifters.

Personally, if there already exists a lube tube for cooling oil to hit the bottom of the piston crowns, why not extend it so it can also put some lube on the rear roller lifters? OR are those tubes only on the larger and more HP versions of the Gen III Hemi?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

There was one late-model RAM owner who claimed the Hemi Tick went away if he went up to 10W-30 motor oil. The OEMs have to recommend/advocate for the oil viscosity they used to run the EPA emissions and mpg testings. Usually, there are other choices in the owner's manual.
Thank you, I just watched that video this afternoon. It was a 2022 Ram with 5K on it.

Our 3.6 Promaster started getting the tick about 100k miles and the dealer denied hearing it. I switched to 10w-30 and within a week it was gone, now at 165k with no issues.

Our 3.6 Promaster started getting the tick about 100k miles and the dealer denied hearing it. I switched to 10w-30 and within a week it was gone, now at 165k with no issues.
That's great. I appreciate the input. I'll be doing an oil change with 10W-30 Penzoil Platinum full synthetic this weekend as well as some other maintenance. Until then it is parked. Thanks.

Last edited:
From all I have read about the 5.7 and the cam / lifter issue, oil changes are very important but even more important IMO, is not letting them idle for long periods of time. Cop cars seem to be in the top percentage of these failures and I think it is because of amount of time these cars spend idling. I have two Hemi engines. One is a 5.7 in my 2005 300C and the other is a 6.1 in my 68 Charger. I don't let either one idle for more than a few minutes without raising the RPMs. Builders of these engines tell me that design of these engines puts the cam and lifters higher in the block and they don't get the oil splash they need at idle. Mopar recommends 5-20 Mobil I in my 5.7 and 0-40 Mobil I in the 6.1. That is what they get and I don't get any noise from either one.

I have a jeep with a gabazillion miles on it and every now and then it wants to be a little "ticky". I put marvel mystery oil in with the oil and that so far has always helped the tick! Just a though...

Back