One thing or another.

Well I added a ground wire from the ecu to battery ground, no change. I'll swap the coils out in a bit. My cool is a blaster 2 that's a little over a year old. If that solves I'll be taking Stans stance on MSD!

Check your centrifugal advance. Unhook your vacuum advance, and idle up your engine under a timing light. You'll want to see about 20° advance by 2,000 RPM (to a total of about 36°). Check to see if your timing is bouncing around as you accelerate as well. If it is, that means a spring is at zero tension, or your distributor bushings are worn.

Last edited:
Well after going back to basics and pulling the plugs, this is what I found. The # 6 hasnt been firing.
image.jpeg

And closer inspection of the cap and rotor..
image.jpeg
And here's the #6 post.....
image.jpeg
So I checked the distributor shaft and here doesn't seem to be a bend in it..... So I think I'm gonna pick up a cap and rotor and borrow a distributor from a buddy .

Check your centrifugal advance. Unhook your vacuum advance, and idle up your engine under a timing light. You'll want to see about 20° advance by 2,000 RPM (to a total of about 36°). Check to see if your timing is bouncing around as you accelerate as well. If it is, that means a spring is at zero tension, or your distributor bushings are worn.
Well with out a timing light I took the the car over to an old school fella I know and after about 20 minutes of carb and timing adjustments she's running a lot better. He adjusted the distributor per how the vacuum advance acted when connected . He revved er up to about 2k then pulled the vac hose, reconnected it and it would stumble. He adjusted the distributor until the advance being hooked up didn't make it stumble. Then he started adjusting the carb by ear! Slowly putting his hand over the top of the carb to see when it would choke out I assume. I would love to watch him do this over and over.ayne then I could learn something lol.He's in his 70's and by the time he was done the car ran better than it ever did. Pulled the plugs and they all had a mild white dusting on em. They looked a lot better. He also loaned me a distributor which was on the car when he made the adjustments. Hopefully it doesn't change when I drop mine back in.

Last edited:
Well another sleepless night. On another note I swapped my distributor back in and as expected it ran like dog crap. So I broke down and did some searching on here and wound up getting a remained cardone unit. After a bit of tinkering she fire up. I'll put a light on it tomorrow and hope get it running right. I got so used to replacing sensors a computer told me were bad that it's safe to say anything I did know aboot carb tuning is gone. Reading a light is a little harder to forget.

Last edited:
can I assume that the springs were the issue in the old dist? I checked the gap at the wheel and there all real close to ten thousands . A couple people looked at it( more experienced than I) and scratched their heads as to what could be causing #6 not to fire.

Thanks! On another note my MSD has returned from repair for the second time. I'm hesitant to reinstall as I don't trust it any more. Gonna do it anyway. I'll keep the Mopar ecu in the trunk. For safeties sake!

Back