Orange Co FL DMV...

joe-btfsplk.jpg

Like I said......I wouldn't stand next to him in a lightening storm. LOL.

So, just a dumbass question. In those states that do them,what is the reasoning for temporary plates, unless you are getting some sort of personalized plate? It seems like a waste of time and energy.

In New York, standard plates are issued immediately.

Personalized plates take up to 5 weeks to be mailed to you.

I have been able to get DMV to do the personalized plate transaction at the same time that I got the standard plates. Then just wait for the mail.

When the personalized plates show up, you're supposed to turn in the standard plates and pay a $1 fee. I hang them on a board in my shop for free. Never had any follow up from DMV on the standard plates.

Letting the registration expire on personalized plates can be a nightmare if you let it go more than 6 months or so. It involves phone calls to a separate division, then wait for them to invalidate/validate the original registration.

Then put your personalized plates "in storage" at DMV, wait for the new registration to come in the mail, then pay a $5 storage fee to get your plates back.

A highly efficient system.

John

I've had to turn in personalized plates in New York State. One car I sold and another was a change to a different car and I did a different plate for that car.

Geez... somewhere between taking them off the car and turning them in, I "lost" one of the plates..... I got the "sure you did" look, but they said OK.

Personalized plates are nice wall hangers for the garage....

Pictures now God Dammit!........Please.
Camera fiasco on the way.....:poke:
S__F5C8.jpg

Mostly... I'm an idiot... I had the camera, which I know how to use (sort of), but in my excitement I forgot it and all I had was my phone... which I seldom use and am not very good at figuring out how to move the pictures with. This is the twins as I first got to see them live in the parking lot I met the truck at.
The driver told me the entire trip was "a trip" as folks leaned out their windows to take pictures and harassed him at every stop... several tried to purchase and most thought they must be movie cars, and wanted to know what movie it was going to be.

BTW... big thank you to Wollfen...
In an earlier thread about shipping you recommended Coast to Coast Auto Transport | Vehicle Shippers | Auto Shipper
I was very happy with their service. Their price was very fair, and I know they disrupted their schedule just a little to accommodate the twins coming together. The driver, Joe, said his brother is the one who runs to NC... seemed like a nice business, and no brokers.

When they arrived, the 4 door was easy enough to unload, but the 2 door wouldn't start. swapped the batteries... something wasn't happy still... we wound up screwing around for more than 2 hours getting it off the truck... used the chain binder system to pull the car up to where gravity would take over. commando1 is right, after climbing around that truck and enjoying endless cranking on those chains... screw that... I can imagine its all way worse when there are cars in the way (Joe had no car loaded below). It started shortly after it got to the ground, but has an intermittent that doesn't let it crank and I think Joe had her flooded when we were on the truck... I jumped the relay to get her home.

Mr. C was very careful to point out as much wrong with the cars as he could and was the ultimate good faith seller. I have been neck deep in other stuff (work, house) but can't wait to get time for these beauties... it would be easier to work on them if the garage wasn't so tight now, but that's not a complaint.
S__F5C8.jpg
S__F5C8.jpg

In New York, standard plates are issued immediately.

Personalized plates take up to 5 weeks to be mailed to you.

I have been able to get DMV to do the personalized plate transaction at the same time that I got the standard plates. Then just wait for the mail.

When the personalized plates show up, you're supposed to turn in the standard plates and pay a $1 fee. I hang them on a board in my shop for free. Never had any follow up from DMV on the standard plates.

Letting the registration expire on personalized plates can be a nightmare if you let it go more than 6 months or so. It involves phone calls to a separate division, then wait for them to invalidate/validate the original registration.

Then put your personalized plates "in storage" at DMV, wait for the new registration to come in the mail, then pay a $5 storage fee to get your plates back.

A highly efficient system.

John
Not to mention the cost! Mario Cuomo the "great orator" decided that there was a market for vanity plates back in the nineties so he raised the prices from $35 (one time fee) plus regular yearly reg (anywhere from 25 to 50, depending on weight) to $100 setup fee plus about $100 per year reg fee. I would imagine sales dropped like a stone after that. Up until this year here in PA, a vanity plate was $35 one time fee plus yearly normal reg fee of $36. Our retarded new gov, must have went to the Cuomo school of tax and spend and raised the setup fee to $100. For now.

That was the last Retard gov who also raised the gas and fuel tax to #1 in U.S. and then gave it all to public transportation. Now wonder he was the only single term gov in Pa. In the last 150 years, sorry to say I voted for the ******* the first time. Now I have to run out of state because 62.5 cents a gallon is killing transportation in Pa. The last of the steel business will be leaving soon the trains are there only hope. I've got 6 more years of this shithole state 5 1/2 till I pound the sign in the front yard. Rant over

Twins look nice

Not to mention the cost! Mario Cuomo the "great orator" decided that there was a market for vanity plates back in the nineties so he raised the prices from $35 (one time fee) plus regular yearly reg (anywhere from 25 to 50, depending on weight) to $100 setup fee plus about $100 per year reg fee. I would imagine sales dropped like a stone after that. Up until this year here in PA, a vanity plate was $35 one time fee plus yearly normal reg fee of $36. Our retarded new gov, must have went to the Cuomo school of tax and spend and raised the setup fee to $100. For now.

I'm not a Cuomo fan (either one of them).

$60 initial and $31.25 annual for personalized plates in New York State.
Learn about personalized plates

Back