Out with the 400

C Body Bob

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
BD500534-2966-4BAD-A78B-377592369B06.jpeg
2A85783B-EBB5-453B-870A-B4735A54611C.jpeg
I officially retired the 400 today. Freeze plug failed & other issues. A 440 will be going back in it. The 727 is going back to the trans guy. It’s not right. I talked to him today & he said to bring it back. Probably putting a 5.0 lever in it & a Cheeta valve body. Might put my 4:56 gear in it too. I’ll have some video on my YouTube channel hopefully by the end of the week.

Take it from a trans builder:

1) the cheetah valve body is excellent. It will solve many problems.

2) Do not use a 5.0 lever, it will cause problems if you don’t have the super heavy hemi 5 disc drum.

and why is it always the hardest to get to freeze plug that leaks?

Take it from a trans builder:

1) the cheetah valve body is excellent. It will solve many problems.

2) Do not use a 5.0 lever, it will cause problems if you don’t have the super heavy hemi 5 disc drum.

and why is it always the hardest to get to freeze plug that leaks?
I have a 4.2 lever in it now

I’d leave that 4.2 or go to a 3.8 lever.

what is wrong with your trans now? Was it rebuilt once recently?

how much does the car weigh?
How much power will it have?
What converter will be on it?
How much rear gear?

I’d leave that 4.2 or go to a 3.8 lever.

what is wrong with your trans now? Was it rebuilt once recently?

how much does the car weigh?
How much power will it have?
What converter will be on it?
How much rear gear?
18 passes since it was rebuilt. Slow sluggish shifts. Has a stick valve body converted to full manual. Slips between gears like low PSI. Fluid has burnt dark smell.
3140 pounds
400 horse
4:10 with spool
2200 stall currently
It’s a race car not a street car.

Pretty light weight for that size car, good job.

Shouldn’t have burnt fluid in 18 passes. That’s AFU. The cheetah valve body will make it work good. As long as the front pump is right to make pressure.

Pretty light weight for that size car, good job.

Shouldn’t have burnt fluid in 18 passes. That’s AFU. The cheetah valve body will make it work good. As long as the front pump is right to make pressure.
I have put a lot of work in this car & a lot of $$$. There’s still a lot of weight to get out of it. $1250 in the transmission & it takes forever to shift. Killing the cars performance. Should have put a Cheatea valve body in it the first time. He tells me he tested the front pump & it was ok. So it’s going back to him. It has iron heads, heavy front wheels & tires, dual batteries and all the bracing still in the pass side door. So about 100 pounds there.

Back