power steering pump belt tension

CHARLES374

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Thought i saw a post once about keeping the belt tension on power steering pump. Was there a bushing that should be in there to help keep belt tight. If so where can i get them.

Thanks

That belt tensioning pulley was one of the most ingenious power steering mounts ever devised! With less basic tension (which many didn't understand!!), the power steering belts lasted "forever" and did not squeal under load. As Ford systems hissed and GM belts squalled under similar conditions. But, alas, everybody perceived the solid-mount systems to be better, as GM did it that way, so Chrysler saved some money and went to the GM style mounts.

With time, the pivot holes in the Chrysler mounts wore and the pump would sit crooked to the motor, BUT the system still worked flawlessly, with the pump "laying into" the belt under load!

Somebody sells the rubber item needed to make the system work as designed, I believe. Add some reinforcing flat washers to the bracket, with a bronze bushing at the pivot point, and it should be even better.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Back