power steering system bleeding

There might be some "bench adjustment" which the rebuilder can obviously do so all works well, but "something happened" with your box somewhere.

The issue with the Dodge pickups is NOT the same as this issue. The "death wobble" happened AFTER a wheel hit a bump, not just starting the vehicle. I also suspect that many of these issues on the pickup chassis happened after the trucks were "lifted" on the suspension for a higher ride height.

The "centering" adjustment is not rocket science, as I understand. The service manual procedures seem reasonable in how they operate. The mechanics I talked to about it, back then, had no issues with fluid leaks (that they mentioned), but they were dealing with vehicles which were a few years old, rather than "decades" old, if that matters in this case.

When everything is centered, everything should operate "as designed", although the self-turning issue is also "as designed, but not best-adjusted".

As I recall, the techs used a metallic hammer to do the tapping with. You're only using enough force to move things a little bit at a time. Once you get things started, with each tap, you might determine how many more are needed, I suspect.

For good measure, go just past where the wheel wants to turn the opposite direction, then go back to where it stays centered.

CBODY67

OK, so I got up early and went out and adjusted the PSI Valve a bit more. As my driveway sucks (it's like a 20 degree incline), I didn't jack it up. I just pushed the valve forward some more. At the moment, it seems like it's close to all the way forward, but not totally. I started the car and noticed it was still doing the same thing--wheel wobbling back and forth. So, I moved it back slightly and tightened it down.

After that, I drove it into work today (about 10 miles), which included some mild highway driving. The steering seemed to smooth out a bit. However, if the wheel is cocked past the center point to the left, it definitely wanders that way. As stated above, it's assisting the steering at that point. It's just assisting too much. When the wheel is past the center point towards the right, it doesn't do this. It's actually a little difficult to turn to the right at times.

Bottom line is, it still isn't working totally correctly. I can't tell if any more adjustment with the PSI Valve is going to do any good or not. If I don't try and take it somewhere today for someone who has worked on these to deal with it, I'll get it up on jack stands on Sat and try and move it back and forth a bit when the car is running to see if that helps. I half wonder if I should just pull off the PSI Valve and make sure the end closes to the firewall is seated correctly on the screw that is in the pump body. I think this is what actually regulates the valve, but maybe I'm wrong on that.

Any thoughts on the valve removal? Or should I just pull this f*&%#ng thing again for the 3rd time and order another one? I'm not really sure I want to reorder the same box, for fear of another super sh*tty rebuild.

Last edited:
OK, so I found a local steering box rebuilder who will rebuild my original box for only $219. They pressure test everything afterwards to make sure flow is correct. I'm heavily leaning towards doing this today. 2-3 day turnaround. I'll pull the POS currently in the car over the weekend and it'll be ready for installation. As the 1st of my 2 units was ordered from RockAuto over a year ago, I can only get my money back for one of the gear boxes. However, this is better than returning it yet again and potentially getting another junk rebuild. I'd like my 3rd installation to be the final time I do it on this car.

I'm kind of at the point where I don't think any additional adjustment of the valve is going to do anything. Thoughts?

OK, so I found a local steering box rebuilder who will rebuild my original box for only $219. They pressure test everything afterwards to make sure flow is correct. I'm heavily leaning towards doing this today. 2-3 day turnaround. I'll pull the POS currently in the car over the weekend and it'll be ready for installation. As the 1st of my 2 units was ordered from RockAuto over a year ago, I can only get my money back for one of the gear boxes. However, this is better than returning it yet again and potentially getting another junk rebuild. I'd like my 3rd installation to be the final time I do it on this car.

I'm kind of at the point where I don't think any additional adjustment of the valve is going to do anything. Thoughts?
If you still have your core box laying around, you might try robbing the valve off of it to see if changing valves solves your problem. Won't cost much to try that option. If that fails proceed as you planned.

Dave

If you still have your core box laying around, you might try robbing the valve off of it to see if changing valves solves your problem. Won't cost much to try that option. If that fails proceed as you planned.

Dave
At this point Dave, I think I'm best just taking in my original to the car box and have it rebuilt. They're local, they guarantee their work, will only take 2-3 days, and at that point I will most likely have a quality unit. And it's not too bad in price. I wish I had just done this to begin with. If I had only known....

There is nothing wrong with the steering boxes it only needs slight adjustment of the valve as i described. You just have to follow the procedure properly and that means putting it up on stands on a flat surface. Do this and all your problems will go away. This really is a simply issue.

There is nothing wrong with the steering boxes it only needs slight adjustment of the valve as i described. You just have to follow the procedure properly and that means putting it up on stands on a flat surface. Do this and all your problems will go away. This really is a simply issue.
Well it’s also leaking from the front seal so there’s a problem

Back