Rear end making noise

polara383500

Reaction score
When you driving straight rearend make no noise until you turn! Then it makes a clunking noise! It does have the sure grip in it.

Noise only on turns? Usually lh turns more than rh turns? Slower speeds? Does the rear end of the car "dance" a bit with each clunk?

Very possibl8y new fluid and limited-slip additive might put things back right?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Noise only on turns? Usually lh turns more than rh turns? Slower speeds? Does the rear end of the car "dance" a bit with each clunk?

Very possibl8y new fluid and limited-slip additive might put things back right?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
Yeah it doesn’t matter which way you turn it makes the sound! I’m gonna change the fluid and try the additive! Thanks

My 77 NYB is doing the same.. my carrier and bearings are SHOT.. swapping in a rebuilt axel. As mentioned above though, try new fluids and additives and see if that helps.

When you driving straight rearend make no noise until you turn! Then it makes a clunking noise! It does have the sure grip in it.

In addition to the other suggestions, you should check the axle bearings. Do you know if / when they were last serviced?

In addition to the other suggestions, you should check the axle bearings. Do you know if / when they were last serviced?
No I don’t know when they were last service. I have no leaks by the drums but that don’t mean nothing I guess. Just going it’s not nothing major redoing rearends are not cheap!

No I don’t know when they were last service. I have no leaks by the drums but that don’t mean nothing I guess. Just going it’s not nothing major redoing rearends are not cheap!

New axle bearings aren't as expensive, but they are still a big pain. However, it's easy to pull the axles and check them. When I pilled mine, the rollers fell out on the floor. . .

New axle bearings aren't as expensive, but they are still a big pain. However, it's easy to pull the axles and check them. When I pilled mine, the rollers fell out on the floor
If pulling the axles do you have to have a dial indicator to set the backlash?

If pulling the axles do you have to have a dial indicator to set the backlash?

Yes - if you are not experienced enough to do it "by feel." I bought a digital dial indicator to do mine. It was a good one and not expensive.

Here ya go:

1662476365080.png

I got penngrade 90w it’s gear oil for limited slip!

Last edited:
Back