Rear shackles/shackle bracket issue.

scorp

Reaction score
So I ordered some replacement shackles for my 1972 Newport because someone previously hacked together some shackles. The part I ordered was AC Delco p/n 45G13005. Issue is that the shackle isn't wide enough to go through the shackle bracket on the body.

Now the question is do I have the wrong shackles because the bracket is wider that the shackle but the shackle fits the leaf spring or has the bracket bolted to the body been swapped out at some point from a different vehicle?

Thanks for any help.

Cause someone made some cheesy shackles out of stainless plates. Sure it wont rust but stainless is weak.

That's the one I got from Rockauto when I looked it up. Do you know a good part number for them?

OK, I see now. According to the ACDELCO catalog, yes, it should work. Gotta be the perch since you know the shackles were already screwed with. Just a guess without pics....

I have a good used pair of rear shackles and rear shackle perches. These will fit and work with no hammering required!! LOL Jasons85dodgeram@hotmail.com

So I ordered some replacement shackles for my 1972 Newport because someone previously hacked together some shackles. The part I ordered was AC Delco p/n 45G13005. Issue is that the shackle isn't wide enough to go through the shackle bracket on the body.

Now the question is do I have the wrong shackles because the bracket is wider that the shackle but the shackle fits the leaf spring or has the bracket bolted to the body been swapped out at some point from a different vehicle?

Thanks for any help.

Well I found out the issue today. Went to the big Mopar Madness show here and checked the mounts/hangers on the 300 parked beside me and I noticed that the hangers are about an inch narrower. Is it possible that there is hangers from a truck that would bolt up in the hanger location in a c body? The hangers are over 3 inches wide.

C-body hangers are wider at the top....where it attaches through the frame. Then takes a jog and goes in tighter to mate up with the spring eye.

This is what they look like....

GRP-20699g_is

I am sure they are the same from 65 to 73...but the on-line source is telling me other wise. Maybe ask in another thread for guys to post up pics of there stock rear shackle assemblies. Just to be sure your getting the right ones.

Yeah i found the picture you posted on the JCwhitney site but it wouldn't tell me what Chrysler it would fit. Just said it will not fit my car after i entered the vehicle info. Parts sites makes things so difficult sometimes.

I have my rear hangers pulled. I will email you some pics of them today. They will work with the standard style common rear spring shackles that you bought. Jason

Thanks for any help.

Back