Restaurants & Diners

Another from @67newport 's post

The Carrols Corporation, headquartered here in Syracuse, became the largest Burger King franchisee. It's being bought by Burger King's parent company for a cool $1billion.
Carrols Restaurant Group - Wikipedia

A side story, back in the early 70's, a coworker told a story of working at a Carrols burger stand in the 60's. He was closing the store, making sure everything was cleaned up etc. when someone came pounding at the door. Outside was a kind of scruffy guy with a Harley. He told him they were closed, but the guy insisted on coming in. He told the guy to get lost or he was calling the cops. The guy still wanted in. A little yelling back and forth and he said "do you know who I am?" and he said "no, who are you?" The response was "Herb Slotnick and I own this place". Slotnick owned all the Carrols in New York State at the time. Once he knew that, he said he couldn't open the door fast enough. He said he looked around a little, told him he was doing a good job and then Slotnick rode off into the night.

1707063347490.png

Former Griff's. A patented restaurant design

We had one in Topeka KS in my formative years. Dunno IF this one is THAT one.. but this Google pic today WAS a Griff's we requented in the mid-late 1960's. 29th St. at Adams.

source: Griff's Burger Bar | RoadsideArchitecture.com

Location unknown. ca. 1965
1707066177206.png
1707066485478.png

The Topeka location, as of 2019 a used car dealer.
1707066411236.png
1707066923630.png

Back