Resurrection of my 1970 Chrysler 300 Convertible

What I did was jack the car up with the frame attached then pushed my stub frame cart in and lowered the car back down.
The frame was then unbolted from the body. Now free the body was jacked up and jack stands put under.
The stub frame could now be rolled out, the body was then transfered to the board with casters on it.

Alan

Simple enough but, for whatever reason, I just couldn't wrap my brain around this process. It took a week of thinking about the logistics and when it came time for action I did something completely different. I plan on installing the engine and trasmission on the completed frame and reversing the process when the time comes. Should prove to be an interesting operation.

Simple enough but, for whatever reason, I just couldn't wrap my brain around this process. It took a week of thinking about the logistics and when it came time for action I did something completely different. I plan on installing the engine and trasmission on the completed frame and reversing the process when the time comes. Should prove to be an interesting operation.

Both you and Alan have thought this through very well, and your pictures show the thought that went into what you did. And reversing the process is not only the simplest and least stressful way to achieve the goal, it also happens to be how the factory did it !

:eek:ccasion14:

Nice execution Jim! This keeps the car portable. If you put the rear tires on dollies you can rotate the car inside the garage giving you access to everything you need to get to.

Nice execution Jim! This keeps the car portable. If you put the rear tires on dollies you can rotate the car inside the garage giving you access to everything you need to get to.

Yes, that's the plan. I realized I can't move it much with the rear tires still on the ground.

Nice planning. It seems like a lot of steps to go through but the ease of accessing and working on the car more then makes up for it. It will show in the end result.

Very interesting thread.

I thought I was done for the season, but this stretch of nice weather here in the northeast had me out in the yard again. First, I had to put the finishing touches on my new parts shed (ok, garden shed to my wife...). It was a lot cheaper than a garage extension or renting a storage unit.

IMG_3283.JPG

Originally I was going to refinish the firewall, but the instead I opted to prepare the new frame for the winter.

IMG_3287.JPG

In cleaning I uncovered these inspection marks, I though it would be cool to try and preserve some of them.

IMG_3288.JPG

Four hours of grinding and sanding revealed a very solid unit.

IMG_3291.JPG

Then a top coat of POR 15 will keep this thing fresh looking for the rest of my lifetime.

IMG_3292.JPG

IMG_3295.JPG

IMG_3294.JPG

IMG_3297.JPG

I was able to preserve some of the inspection marks:

IMG_3296.JPG

I will be removing all of the suspension parts from the old frame over the next few weeks provided the weather continues to hold out. If anyone has a need or an interest in the bent frame, let me know. It is rust free and very solid, I'm sure someone could straighten it with the right tools and dedication. This project is entering it's 6th year and I just didn't want to bother. Oh, and of course the frame would be free to a good home.

James

Last edited:
Wow! Quite a project! I took on a few years ago but time is hard to come by now, I need to put a new seal in the p/s pump and can't find time for that. I'm in the North West corner of NJ in Califon, it looks flatter where you are are you in central or southern Jersey? I always liked the 1970 300's, and a convertible is even better. That will be a great color combo.

Wow! Quite a project! I took on a few years ago but time is hard to come by now, I need to put a new seal in the p/s pump and can't find time for that. I'm in the North West corner of NJ in Califon, it looks flatter where you are are you in central or southern Jersey? I always liked the 1970 300's, and a convertible is even better. That will be a great color combo.

Another Jersey member, cool! I'm outside of Phily, near Moorestown.

It's good to see you making progress, I love project updates almost as much as project pic's. When you have both well...

It's good to see you making progress, I love project updates almost as much as project pic's. When you have both well...

Thanks, its the member projects and pics that keep me motivated and hanging around here. My season is pretty much done this year, looking forward to that first thaw in 2015.

Thanks, its the member projects and pics that keep me motivated and hanging around here. My season is pretty much done this year, looking forward to that first thaw in 2015.

Im holding out for a few more decent weekends with the top down and burning fuel.

Finally getting some time to get back to work on the vert. Last year I had stripped the suspension components from the old frame. I believe the suspension had been refreshed with some new parts before the project was scrapped by the original owner back in 2006. It has new rotors, wheel bearings, control arms, A arms and bushings. The plan is to transfer the parts as is, but I'm not to sure about the lower ball joints or tie rod ends. The tie rods are tight, but the rubber boots are decaying. The lower ball joints just look flat and move easily.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Back