Resurrection of my 1970 Chrysler 300 Convertible

Interesting about the bumper brace.... That's missing from mine, I just went out to the garage to check.

I did a lot of engines on a three wheeled stand. I only bought a four wheeled one when I did the flathead six in my Windsor. The three wheels are fine.... I never tipped one over and if anyone would... It would be me. I trip over the four wheel stand.

I'm jealous...nice work

Thanks, I can say the same about your trio. If I could only make the "You Suck" list once, I'd be content!

Interesting about the bumper brace.... That's missing from mine, I just went out to the garage to check.

I did a lot of engines on a three wheeled stand. I only bought a four wheeled one when I did the flathead six in my Windsor. The three wheels are fine.... I never tipped one over and if anyone would... It would be me. I trip over the four wheel stand.

I'll have to check the one on my parts car, I only looked at these two for comparison.

As as for the stand, I'll find out tomorrow. I have the bracket hooked up, just a guess at where the mass of rotation should be. I guess I'll find out pretty quick.

image.jpg

I'm pretty sure you qualify for the "you suck" list with your parts car never mind your vert! Nice updates!

On the surface the '69 and '70 look identical, but as I was examining my new find I discovered a key reinforcement added to the '70 in that same area.

Jim,

The reinforcement that is on the 1970 bumper that you have was available on the '69 as well, this part was primarily used as a reinforcement behind front bumpers with the center bumper guard package, not all 70's came with it.

Really nice work you did there!

Have you covered the POR-15 with another paint since it's not UV stable? The Stub frame will not see much sunlight, but I would do it anyway to protect this great work?!

And I can't stress it enough to use a Tornador Black gun for cleaning your interior, it's a great tool for this!

Jim,

The reinforcement that is on the 1970 bumper that you have was available on the '69 as well, this part was primarily used as a reinforcement behind front bumpers with the center bumper guard package, not all 70's came with it.

This makes sense.

Jim,

That at has to be it, the bumpers have the guard in the front and the bumpperetts in the back.

Really nice work you did there!

Have you covered the POR-15 with another paint since it's not UV stable? The Stub frame will not see much sunlight, but I would do it anyway to protect this great work?!

And I can't stress it enough to use a Tornador Black gun for cleaning your interior, it's a great tool for this!

Thanks! I keep referencing your build thread for inspiration. As for the POR15, after the application I wait until it is tacky and then spray multiple coats of Rustoleum. Comes out hard as a rock and stays shiny black. Not sure what this Tornador Black gun is but I'd like to know more.

Another guy that does amazing work that makes me feel like an amateur in comparison. Great job.

And another guy I'm jealous of with the beautiful cars and life in paradise! Thanks!

I referred to it a couple of times. I cleaned my interior with it and believe me, it was gross!

Here is a product video:
[video]https://youtu.be/eUmuxYGE7zY[/video]

I bought one last Spring and would highly recommend it!
I referred to it a couple of times. I cleaned my interior with it and believe me, it was gross!

Here is a product video:
[video]https://youtu.be/eUmuxYGE7zY[/video]

The engine is from a '69 300, which I had introduced in another thread. It's standard 350 hp, and I intend to rebuild to 1970 specs and paint corporate blue.

Jim,

I would strongly advise you to have the engine paint mixed and matched to the valve covers that I gave you rather than using a spray can. The color from the cans is usually way too powdery blue and not very durable, just my two cents.

One other thing regarding the Tornador, I have found that using a Bio Enzymatic cleaner like Bac-Out or similar, will kill/remove all bacteria that cause smell and leave very little fragrance of their own. PetCo sells some of theses for removing pet stains from upholstery and carpet.

Wow - Outstanding thread! I just finished reading the whole thread and I'm very impressed with your attention to detail. I whole hardheartedly agree with your decision to replace the front clip. I'm like you, fixing it with shims etc wouldn't sit right.

Loved the picture of the garage door almost closed. My Fury only cleared my garage door by 2" so I put a dolly under each wheel and placed the car diagonally. This gave me 360 deg access without having to open the garage door or crawl over the car. Of course this put my daily driver out in the weather which upset my better half. The things we do to work on these cars. As it turned out after about 5 or 6 years of this parking arrangement my wife finally proclaimed, "Either finish the Fury or scrap it, I'm tired of scraping ice and snow off my car!" The result is documented in some detail on my web site. You may find the pictures helpful. (link in my signature)

Again, great job, I look forward to seeing your vert back on the road. Believe me, all the work is worth it!

Wow - Outstanding thread! I just finished reading the whole thread and I'm very impressed with your attention to detail. I whole hardheartedly agree with your decision to replace the front clip. I'm like you, fixing it with shims etc wouldn't sit right.

Loved the picture of the garage door almost closed. My Fury only cleared my garage door by 2" so I put a dolly under each wheel and placed the car diagonally. This gave me 360 deg access without having to open the garage door or crawl over the car. Of course this put my daily driver out in the weather which upset my better half. The things we do to work on these cars. As it turned out after about 5 or 6 years of this parking arrangement my wife finally proclaimed, "Either finish the Fury or scrap it, I'm tired of scraping ice and snow off my car!" The result is documented in some detail on my web site. You may find the pictures helpful. (link in my signature)

Again, great job, I look forward to seeing your vert back on the road. Believe me, all the work is worth it!

I've read through your story a number of times. I came across your site by accident before it was posted here. You had some trials, that's for sure! The videos that your builder made are very informative, and I'll be using some of those techniques.

Ok, now what?

It's finally on the stand! The three legger is actually easy to use, just got to be careful. OK, I've searched and I know a few of you posted a link to a book on how to rebuild a 440, but I can't find it now. Much obliged if someone can post the link here.

440 on stand (1).jpg

440 on stand (2).jpg

440 on stand (3).jpg

440 on stand (4).jpg

440 on stand (5).jpg

440 on stand (11).jpg

Last edited:
There have been plenty of "Cook Book" 440 articles over the years. A couple of good ones in the old Popular HotRodding and some in the Mopar specific magazines like Mopar Muscle and Mopar Action etc. Mopar Action has a tech archive that tells you what issue you are looking for and if you search around online you can often find repost of the articles. There are literally dozens of them if you do a google search. Since it is for a C body you are probably going to build an engine with lots of low end torque to get all of that love moving?

http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/archive.html

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/mopp-0103-how-to-stock-buildup-a-440-magnum/

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/1412-how-you-can-build-a-stout-537hp-street-440/

Back