Road wheels on a slab side

$285 per tire? ouch!
Yeah, I know my car came with the little WWs from the factory, but I never considered going back to them. I did, however, consider going with redlines... until I saw the price! I wouldn't mind having them, but I don't want them that much! The BF Goodrich Comp 2 T/As I went with were $126 each, including shipping. A local tire shop charged me $98 to mount, balance and install them and dismount my original OEM 14" Magums so I could save them. All in, my upgrade to these wheels and tires cost me a total of $1,372. That includes 4 rims, 4 tires, 4 valve stems, 20 shiney new lug nuts, and all shipping, mounting and balancing. It is not like these were free, but I think I got a pretty good deal given the quality of the tires, the way they look on the car, and the cost of the alternative of going with repro 15" Magnums so I could complete the upgrade to disc brakes.

Your car looks great, I'm sold. Yes you were definitely in my area of the country. I went to high school just south of Marysville and it is where our family farm is located. My wifes first teaching job was in Washington Court House.

You have to hunt down the c-bodies at the Nats, I am just used to just a small showing. I was excited this year because there where several I hadn't seen in the past.

So you where at the Honda's Transportation Research Center? What brought you here? Any hot laps in anything fun?

Zymurgy, I have been a Mopar nut since the early '60s, but I have also been a Honda fan boy since 1972 when I got my first Honda dirt bike. I gradually moved out of motorcycles after I got my driver's license in 1974 as I discovered it was so much better to have a car than a motorcycle when dating. I had to sell my '67 Chevelle back in '77 when premium hit $0.65 a gallon and have owned at least one Honda ever since. I have owned 8 new Honda cars since my first, a brand new 1977 Honda Accord. I drive a Dodge 2500 HD 4x4 diesel to work (I work in agriculture), I owned a Superbird (my dream car) from 1989 to 2010, and I have owned my '68 Sport Fury since 2004, but my daily driver is a loaded 2015 V6 Accord. No hot laps or anything like that, but I will be signing up for a plant tour the next time I come out. Heck, it may be an annual thing now, at least I hope so. My girlfriend's parents aren't getting any younger and as all of us who have lost our parents know, time is precious and we need to spend as much time as possible with them while we can.

I had a Honda XR75 dirt bike, first and only bike I ever had. I have tons of friends who work at Honda. They have totally transformed the community. London was actually bigger than Marysville when I was a kid. You have driven through both, there is no comparison now.

If you drove down OH 38 between Marysville and London, you actually drove right past our family farm.

Thanks MoparJim. 1968 was a good year for Chrysler, I have to think. My dream car is the 68 Dodge Charger! Having a 68 Fury is probably as close as I will ever get to my dream car, though. One is still affordable, the other - isn't.

Opinion noted . I always say the cars character determines what shoes it should be wearing. . so white wall tires on many of our cars appear ridiculous , either undersized or out of character. You dont put wingtips on an athlete in the game.

If you go back and look at some of the cops 'n robber shows from the late '60s, all of those "bad guys" and the good guys were all wearing some sort of "street shoes" as they ran at full speed, ducked into doorways, etc. Many guys couldn't do that in running shoes, much less smooth-soled street shoes. Another mystery of the movies?

As long as there are pickup trucks from the 1970s, there will be P235/75x15 tires of some type, but the P225/75R-15s can be hard to find "everywhere", but using that as the largest size on the older C-bodies is generally good, diameter or revs/mile wise, without resorting to changing speedometer gears from the stock range. The P215/75Rx15 is probably closest in dimensions to the original 8.55x15 or H78x15 size.

The 501s look great in the pictures!

CBODY67

If you go back and look at some of the cops 'n robber shows from the late '60s, all of those "bad guys" and the good guys were all wearing some sort of "street shoes" as they ran at full speed, ducked into doorways, etc. Many guys couldn't do that in running shoes, much less smooth-soled street shoes. Another mystery of the movies?

CBODY67

Not sure I understand ..., they couldnt? Rockford would have done much better and felt more comfortable in a good running sneaker

Not sure I understand ..., they couldnt? Rockford would have done much better and felt more comfortable in a good running sneaker

Back when everything, generally, was a "whitewall" or "blackwall" world, whitewalls were a sign of affluence and more upscale than "standard" blackwall tires. Redline, and gold line tires, were only on things like Corvettes. This was well before white letter tires came out in the later 1960s. But even white letter tires looked out of place on a car with a soft suspension (not always including Chrysler products in the process). Wheel covers vs. dog dish hubcaps, too, etc. That's the generation I grew up in.

As noted, it all depends upon the vehicle. But things became "different" in the later 1980s when the "Euro look" became popular. Blackwall tires and decreased amounts of shiny trim. An incognito way of cutting production costs, I suspect. Be that as it may.

As for the "shoes" comment in cops 'n robbers shows, I was watching "The Mod Squad" last night on Decades channel and the classic foot race happened. Everybody in dress shoes, so not sure what tricks they did with those smooth-soled shoes. Possibly like the Chrysler suspension system allowing greater things to be accomplished with mundane "shoes"? This pre-dates Rockford by 7 years. And the main characters drove Chrysler products (one of the few tv shoes that Ford didn't supply vehicles for, back then).

I'm aware of what repro tires cost vs the newer 17" sizes, as I consider options for my own cars. One looks better with white letters than blackwalls, but others need to have some sort of whitewall to look right to me. Be that as it may.

As for television shows and movies, as there is an Interned Movie Database, for plotlines, actors, and such, there is also one for CARS too. Put in the make of car and it'll bring up the respective movies and shows they were in. Pretty neat!
1966__CHRYSLER_NEWPORT_MOVIE_BABY SHEBA_1975_272811-s9.jpg
1966__CHRYSLER_NEWPORT_MOVIE_BABY SHEBA_1975_272812-s10.jpg

1966__CHRYSLER_NEWPORT_MOVIE_BABY SHEBA_1975_i205683.jpg

Last edited:
On the VN501s, what specific size and backspacing? Tire size? How's the clearance at the front tie rod ends and the leaf springs on the rear? Thanks.

CBODY67

The footwork of a 40 year old suit running as fast as he can can not be compared to a C body and the "shoes" its wearing.

DSCF0572.JPG

My point is a car takes on an attitude depending on the direction the owner takes the car. The tires installed need to reflect that . You cant make a flat statement black wall, whitewall or white letters. The car determines which tire is needed

On the VN501s, what specific size and backspacing? Tire size? How's the clearance at the front tie rod ends and the leaf springs on the rear? Thanks.

CBODY67

I got a set of VN501s in 17x5 with no backspacing and the tires are 235/55/17. These wheels and tires are only a fraction of an inch larger in diameter than the 14 inch Goodyear Eagles I replaced and they easily fit with no issues what-so-ever. I didn't measure the clearance with an actual ruler, but we mounted and balanced the first and put it on to test fit (hence the picture). My car is bone stock and there was plenty of room with the wheel turned fully to the right and turned fully to the left. My car has the original 8 3/4 Sure Grip with the original drum brakes out back and I have several inches between the tire and the rear quarter panel on each side. There is plenty of room to go with a larger tire if I wanted to, and that is with no backspacing, but these tires are plenty wide and I have no need for even more rubber under there.

Once I had the 17 inch wheels on it I then proceeded with the conversion of the original front power drum brakes to a set of power disc brakes off of a '73 Chrysler and there are no issues with fit what-so-ever. I am very happy with these wheels and tires.

The footwork of a 40 year old suit running as fast as he can can not be compared to a C body and the "shoes" its wearing.

View attachment 141245

My point is a car takes on an attitude depending on the direction the owner takes the car. The tires installed need to reflect that . You cant make a flat statement black wall, whitewall or white letters. The car determines which tire is needed

I agree - and yet don't agree with your statement. At least the part about where the 'car determines which tire is needed' I agree that that is true most of the time, but there are times when an owner can 'upgrade' what might normally be a 'vanilla' car. There are times when a person can take such a 'vanilla' looking car and make it look more sporty by adding raised white letter tires or make it more classy by adding thin white walls. So that is where I would have to disagree with the idea that the car determines what is needed, the owner can make that determination and give a car a character that it might otherwise not have had. I also have to disagree that you can't make a flat statement about black wall, white wall or white letters. There is no avoiding the fact that in most cases - Blackwalls say 'cheap', raised white letters say 'sporty' and good looking white walls say 'classy'. Given that, such cars as, say, a Challenger dictates raised white letters, a basic Plymouth might dictate the blackwalls. Neither one, imho, belong on an Imperial. Those should say 'classy' all the way - whitewalls only. In that regard, I have to agree with you - Certain cars DO determine which tire is needed. My two cents - probably worth a plugged nickel.

Think I will have to run a 3.91 gear with this tall of tire.

unnamed.jpg

I got a set of VN501s in 17x5 with no backspacing and the tires are 235/55/17. These wheels and tires are only a fraction of an inch larger in diameter than the 14 inch Goodyear Eagles I replaced and they easily fit with no issues what-so-ever.

Just to clarify, "17x5 with no backspacing"???????

For that aspect ratio of tire, 5" is narrower than the recommended width AND narrower than the factory wheels. "No backspacing" would mean the wheels have a tremendous positive offset and put higher loads on the wheel bearings. "No offset", I could see and believe are available in that wheel's options.

Just curious.
CBODY67

Do they make a 17" road wheel with a 5" rim.
That has to be way less than the recommended rim width for a 255mm tire.
The sidewalls do look "pinched" mounted on those wheels.

Back