Rock Auto crap parts

It really depends on the circumstance. If I'm under the hood and working on something I need a part for right now, obviously RA is not going to be my source for that part(s). Planning a job? I'm absolutely comparing RA prices to O'Reillys, NAPA, and AutoZoned. It's a no-brainer to me. I've had just one part that was wrong from RA in nearly five years of using them, and that was my error, as there were three possibilities for that part. I chose poorly.

I've bought a lot of stuff from Rockauto and the only problems I've had are with Dorman chrome lug nuts which started to rust within 2 months and now at 2 years have virtually no chrome left on them. The power window motor kit with nylon gear and metal drive gear , also by Dorman , failed miserably on 2 motors that I tried and just broke the teeth off the metal drive gear. Looked like the Chinese had made them from pot metal. The nylon gears were fine.
That's a quality issue with the manufacturer and not with RA. Dorman parts are a crap shoot. Most hardware is good, like their core plugs for example. I stay away from anything Dorman that has moving parts.

I've had just one part that was wrong from RA in nearly five years of using them, and that was my error, as there were three possibilities for that part. I chose poorly.

This happened to me too. Sometimes they list a lot off variations for parts so then you pretty much need to triple check it's the right one for you. Learned that the hard way when I got a master cylinder which was a four bolt and I needed a two bolt... Was able to make it work but still.

I've said this a few times... I use RA rather shamelessly as a source for part numbers.

Then I price shop... and often use my Amazon Prime account. Amazon has an amazing return policy and it's here in a day or two. A little of my change goes towards charity and often Amazon uses smaller suppliers to fulfill the orders.

A friend works in a industrial tool supply shop. Not a really big place, kind of a step up from a "Mom and Pop" supplier. They supply and repair power tools to a few local factories and it's a good niche business. He's told me that the Amazon sales are booming and now a really good percentage of their business goes out in Amazon packaging. When you think about it, it's the same business model as RA. Let someone else stock the stuff on their shelves.

And in case you guys don't already know you can find the closeout specials buy clicking the circled links. When Im buying something and paying the shipping I play the game of trying to add the cheap stuff that doesn't add shipping. Of course if I'm ordering for one car I check the closeouts for all my cars.

upload_2021-5-19_9-37-37.png

upload_2021-5-19_9-38-27.png

I have used Rock Auto extensively over the years for all of my vintage cars, and I've mostly had good experience and received quality parts. Their system, which lets the customer see all the MFR's of parts available for whatever you're looking for, makes it a handy research tool, like others here have said.

I also like to shop locally. Often I need 'auto parts store therapy' and enjoy the browsing aspect.

One of the best stores out here is Winchester Auto, a small chain in the south bay and Sana Cruz area that's got a lot to look at. I have been in a few of the old time dirty parts stores they mention below and I can't wait to get out, haha....

Winchester Auto Parts

If you have ever had a chance to visit one of our 5 locations, you would have noticed something unique, quite different than other auto part stores. We are not a mass merchandiser or mega-chain auto store which specializes in oils and "mechanics in a pour can". On the other hand, we don't typify your standard old time mom and pop parts store with wooden shelves, front stools, and a 2 inch layer of dust covering the entire front of the store. We are a finely tuned blend of both, offering you large, clean, well lit, organized automotive stores, with extensive inventories.

Last edited:
I've had only one "problem" using RA. When I ordered a new intake manifold for my wife's '09 Sebring 2.4, there was no mention of a new gasket coming with it, so I bought one. Wasn't needed. Otherwise I've had nothing but good luck with them.

If all you're looking for are intake manifold gaskets, you can always go with Summit Racing.

I have used Rock Auto extensively over the years for all of my vintage cars, and I've mostly had good experience and received quality parts. Their system, which lets the customer see all the MFR's of parts available for whatever you're looking for, makes it a handy research tool, like others here have said.

I also like to shop locally. Often I need 'auto parts store therapy' and enjoy the browsing aspect.

One of the best stores out here is Winchester Auto, a small chain in the south bay and Sana Cruz area that's got a lot to look at. I have been in a few of the old time dirty parts stores they mention below and I can't wait to get out, haha....

Winchester Auto Parts

If you have ever had a chance to visit one of our 5 locations, you would have noticed something unique, quite different than other auto part stores. We are not a mass merchandiser or mega-chain auto store which specializes in oils and "mechanics in a pour can". On the other hand, we don't typify your standard old time mom and pop parts store with wooden shelves, front stools, and a 2 inch layer of dust covering the entire front of the store. We are a finely tuned blend of both, offering you large, clean, well lit, organized automotive stores, with extensive inventories.
I hate to say it, but I don't know of any small auto parts stores in this area any more.

I used a local NAPA when my son worked there... They changed owners (after he had moved on) and the new management really pissed me off by refusing to return a part. The part was obviously used and not even the correct one.... The manager got pissed at me, then promptly answered the scanner when the phone rang which sent me into hysterical laughter. He calmed down and made it right, but I stayed away.

My old buddy started working at another NAPA (again) and he was my "go to guy". He's transferred about 75 miles away though and it's phone calls for part numbers if I need to.

The other NAPA changed hands again, and a couple folks I know work there... Problem is they aren't the sharpest tools in the shed and don't cut me any deals on parts anymore. Great for a hose, but an oil filter confuses one (and she used to be pretty sharp) and the other, well, I knew him and his late Dad... Nice guys, but well, nice guys, let's say that.

I used to buy from another place... He retired (passed away last year I'm sorry to say) and they were real sharp. They sold the business to a local car dealer that was going to break into the car parts business and they managed to run it into the ground in 5 years. I only went in there once and that was enough.

The local Advance Auto isn't bad... Gotta spoon feed them sometimes, but the cigarette voiced woman behind the counter is sharper than most. AutoZone is a joke... They have an O'Reilly's now... OMG... I don't think those guys know that you can't drink the oil.

So... It's RA... or Amazon... The new daily has a warranty and honestly, it has tied me to the stealership more than any other car ever has before. I'm retired too... So any parts are for cars that can sit and I don't need to fix them NOW! to get to work tomorrow.

My fridge and chest are half covered with RA magnets. I've only had issues twice with them and had to bite the bullet. Do not order the rad for a 66, it's not correct but because it's listed as correct you own it. I once also recieved the wrong manual....but I might get an imperial one day so on the shelf it goes.

I refuse to use Amazon for anything. Bezos is a dick, and his corporate tradition in treatment of hourly workers is abysmal. I'll happily spend more elsewhere, versus using Amazon. Plus, their no-speaky-English drivers are hired from the local aquarium, since I know fish that can drive a van/truck far better.

Locally, the local O'Reillys knows me and I get a nice discount. The NAPA store isn't fantastic, but they know how to use a book, if the computer is tits or doesn't show a part.

I refuse to use Amazon for anything. Bezos is a dick, and his corporate tradition in treatment of hourly workers is abysmal. I'll happily spend more elsewhere, versus using Amazon. Plus, their no-speaky-English drivers are hired from the local aquarium, since I know fish that can drive a van/truck far better.

Locally, the local O'Reillys knows me and I get a nice discount. The NAPA store isn't fantastic, but they know how to use a book, if the computer is tits or doesn't show a part.
I share you loathing of Amazon. I find myself trying to find the item somewhere else for close to the Amazon price so I ca avoid buying from them.

I've also bought a lot of parts from RA. They have very good shipping terms for cross-border shipping to Canada. Their price includes shipping and customs and brokerage fees are included up-front in the price, so there are no surprise COD charges on delivery.

I bought a 26" rad for one of my Chryslers from RA. It was a Spectra rad. I know that Spectra had stock of the rad I needed at their warehouse in Quebec, but RA undercut the best price I could find at a local retailer by almost $100. And at that price, the one I got was shipped from a Buffalo, NY address right to my door!

I think I've only had 2 bad experiences with RA and they weren't showstoppers. An axle seal for my pickup was the wrong inner diameter, so shouldn't have even been listed for my application. My original seal was in good condition to I was able to reuse it. Another time I ordered big block lifters, the budget Speed Pro brand. Surprisingly, they came rolling around loose in the box and 2 had scratches on the machined outer bodies. They were so cheap that I had ordered 2 extra as a precaution though, so I was still able to do the job.

Honestly, I've had MUCH worse experiences with parts from 440 Source.

Hey, I happen to really like rockauto, bub. I think I am at the point where I rather order online then go to a Autoparts store. Not worth it to me. Il make a few exceptions but not many. At least in my area, people at napa seem to have a bit more understanding of cars and parts even though I'm sure most aren't real gearheads and just look at it as a job. Which is fine but you should have some insight into what your job entails I feel.

My friend went to auto zone one time and said that he needed a radiator cap for a 73 challenger. Guy behind the counter says, wow I didn't know they made them that far back. !!!!

I've used RA since it started and have saved a bundle of $ over the years. In all this time maybe 2 things were sent back. Not any problems with return or refund, more like they sent me another correct part.
Items like rebuilt brake calipers I prefer to source locally with a lifetime guarantee (advance auto) which has worked on several cars.
RA does say that items with a Heart image after the listing have a low comeback number (maybe better quality)
Unfortunately, most people behind the parts counters are not very good with older cars
Nothing in life is 100%

I have used RockAuto for over 5 years and am more than happy with them.
I have 4 vehicles and the 'newest' is about to turn 18 years old.
I have rebuilt almost all of the front suspension of my 93 GMC truck with RA parts and usually shop for the mid-range quality if there is a choice.
Advance auto, here in Tx anyway, seem to be way over priced and I only use them as a last resort.

Back