Self install Bert top?

Unless you might be ready and willing to add new words to your spoken vocabulary, several times over, pay the money and let somebody who has done it before do it. It's more involved getting the fabric attached to the rear bow and then stretched to the front bow so that the top is a bit smooth and tight when closed, than you might suspect. Then getting the rear section attached and stapled on each side. A lot more to it than installing a vinyl top on a steel roof, than suspected.

A friend in another car club decided to do his own top, about 20 years ago. We all were younger then! He followed the instructions, but to get things finalized, took him a week of nights after work to get things as they should be. Once was enough for him, he said later.

Just because a top is now in place and it works does not mean everything is "square" in the roof mechanism. Something else that can add to the price. Gremlins might be lurking where not suspected. As another friend in that same car club found out. He took his car to a good shop and they found worn/bent items in the mechanism, which added to the cost. About another $750,00 or so, IIRC. Not unlike taking a car to the body shop and they discover a gallon of filler in the quarter panel, covering rusty metal. When they were done, the top was fantastic and looked like a "better than OEM" situation.

Is that price for the complete package (top and installation) or just for the installation?

Just some thoughts and observations,
CBODY67

When I was in High School, in the mid 90's. A good friend has a 69 Cutlass Convertible. He spent 1000 to have his new top installed then. Well, his dad paid for it. : )
2200 seems like a reasonable deal.

Thanks to all who replied to Bert top! Yes price is for everything. The previous owner and a helper put this one on, and it looks and works well, tho' the left ram has side tension. My splendid paint and rear quarrter job only cost $7600, so 1/3 of that for a top....

Get it done by a pro, ask if there is any guaranty and for how long . If they get the top from one of the 3 top manufacturers, Kees being one of them, they usually offer a 5 year warranty.
I got a top online from Convertible Top Guys then had a local guy install it. Mailed in the confirmation to Kees for the warranty. It would have been a DIY *****!

Good luck

I likely will have to find a pro in Phoenix to do our ragtop. I've telephoned a number of these half baked poseurs down here, and NONE OF THEM WILL TOUCH A 1968 CHRYSLER! This is Chebbyland for anything pre-1980. We do well enough putting canvas tarps on the frame for cruising around, though we have the proper roof, half of which came with Gertrude, and the rear half I bought in foolish hope of seeing this job professionally done in 2022.

I know better than to try a proper seam job myself, given how I know nothing of such work. I suspect neither do these Tucson shops..... to Hell with them now. Tarps work well enough down here anyway.

Back