Spring fell out when pulled tranny filter.

Reaction score
I was gonna replace gasket on tranny pan. Decide I'd change filters also pulled filter and spring fell out also. Dose it go back in the hole I'm holding it bye in the picture.

IMG_20171216_174603196.jpg

IMG_20171216_173540794.jpg

I've been rebuilding TF transmissions for 50 years. That is a 78 or 79 valve body. That is a torque converter pressure relief valve. The cup plug goes in first then the spring, but there should be a retainer staked in the hole to hold the spring in. With this out of there your car will probably be slow to move after sitting and maybe a little lazyon the take off. I would make a metal retainer that goes across 2 screws to hold it in place. I don't think the filter will hold enough tension on the spring. After 1980 Chrysler decided they didn't need it and eliminated the hole in the separator plate.

That will work only if you have a 78 and up Lock up trans. Swapping years of valve bodies can get you in trouble sometimes. That valve body will work fine if you can rig up something to hold the spring and plug in place

Ok great thanks allot will keep ya posted.

You would also want to locate the broken stake if possible, it is probably stuck to your old filter someplace. Do not want any spare bits of metal running around inside you transmission as this can cause real damage to the gear parts or the front pump.

Dave

Back