Steeringbox acting strange...

Glider

Reaction score
When I turn the steering wheel there's a strong(!) "brake" feeling in the wheel just about when I've started turning left, & when I keep turning it goes easy again...
& yep; I've lifted the front clear from ground.
At first I thought there might be dirt inside but why does it only apear at the same spot every time??? Box looks like this:

SterBox.JPG

You might have air in the pump or a slipping belt.

I went through something like this once. The return hose had a small leak that would suck air into the pump.

I just tried it with the hoses disconnected & the engine off, it's half a turn from straight turning to the left. & it's seriously hard to steer but when that half turn on the wheel is done it goes fine again.

Back this adjustment off a turn or 2 and see if your problem goes away.

If it does, tighten it up again until you feel it drag again and then back it off just enough for it not to catch.

If it doesn't go away, there may be something internal wrong with the box but I would expect it to be dragging in random spots instead of the same place.

I'm sure there is an adjustment procedure in the service manual that will go along the lines of bottom out the adjuster and back it out X, but I don't have it in front of me.

Upon further thought, it would only take that adjuster being a few thou too tight for it to catch, so maybe back it out a 1/4 turn at a time and see what happens. If you keep backing it off, and it doesn't fix it, problem is elsewhere.

Kevin

SterBox.JPG

Disconnect the pitman arm from the drag link, repeat test.
Still stiff?
Disconnect the steering wheel shaft from the steering box, repeat test.
Not stiff?
Replace box.

Check the FSM. There is a "high spot" at the center position where the gear mesh is tighter. Procedure is to disconnect the pitman arm, turn the steering wheel from lock to lock, counting the turns, and return it to the exact center position before setting the preload. If something is bent or mis-adjusted, the high spot might be what you are feeling. Lindsay

I actually just dealt with this over the weekend. In all my life I've never touched that adjustment at the top of steering box but I replaced it with a different box from another 76 royal monaco and it was leaking from there. Had to really crank it tight with a ratchet but it fixed the problem

Tight spot half a turn from straight May mean the the column in the box is off by I/2 turn. See if it has the sam number if turns left and right from the tight spot and from your current straight ahead.
Check the FSM. There is a "high spot" at the center position where the gear mesh is tighter. Procedure is to disconnect the pitman arm, turn the steering wheel from lock to lock, counting the turns, and return it to the exact center position before setting the preload. If something is bent or mis-adjusted, the high spot might be what you are feeling. Lindsay

Due to "the rest of life" I haven't been able to get much done until just now & so I loosened the adjusting screw & I think it might have got a wee bit better, but the strange thing is that after almost one turn up with the Allen Key I couldn't back it up more... :( & there's still a bit resistance.

Last edited:
Back