Strange electrical short

TXPinkSkurtz

Reaction score
I've been trying to chase down an electrical short on my 1968 Fury III convertible and my trail seems to end at the bulkhead. Does this mean I need to get a full harness to fix the problem, or are there updated partial harnesses that address the issues with where the wiring goes through the bulkhead?

Tell us what is the problem (what's acting up?), and then we can help you more.

The bulkhead is a known issue in these cars, and the fixes are simple effective and safe. We just need more info.

What isn't working?
How do you know it is a short?
What have you done to troubleshoot it?

Alan

Some people drill a hole, install a grommet and bypass the bulkhead.

I had to do that when someone burnt up the wiring for my windshield wiper. It was fried on both sides of the bulkhead. Most likely from someone turning on the switch with the wipers frozen to the windshield. Good luck! Ben

It might be easy to think "harness" when all you might need to do is repair/replace particular terminals which plug into the bulkhead connector. Replacing the individual terminals can be much easier than replacing a complete harness. But I also suspect that these terminals do not "short", but just have continuity issues instead, as they are all separated by the connectors that support them. I believe you can find OEM-level terminal kits online or from a few restoration parts vendors. Just make sure that what you get exactly matches what you now have (shape and configuration) rather than just re-packaged auto supply items!

Just curious, have you looked at the factory service manual wiring schematics? Usually, the wiring color code inside of the car is the same as the corresponding wire on the engine-side wiring.

Which circuit(s) are you having concerns about?

Just some observations,
CBODY67

I've been trying to chase down an electrical short on my 1968 Fury III convertible and my trail seems to end at the bulkhead. Does this mean I need to get a full harness to fix the problem, or are there updated partial harnesses that address the issues with where the wiring goes through the bulkhead?
@TXPinkSkurtz Can you give us more info on where the problem is located, i.e. which wire(s) and which side of firewall, engine or pass compartment.
If you don't already have a factory shop manual, you can download on for free for your 68 Fury. Wiring diagrams, invaluable.
Service Manuals – MyMopar

I have to disconnect the battery or the rear lights stay on and drain the battery, the right blinker stays on solid, the flashers also stay on solid, but when you turn on the right turn signal, they flash. It all started when I installed a horn ring for my year/make/model of purchased on eBay.

Hazards and turn signals run through the turn signal switch. If it happened when you installed the horn ring, advise leave the bulkhead alone and check the following.
1. Using wiring diagram, wiring to and from horn ring for cracks or damage that might give you a short.
2. Remove horn ring And steering wheel and look for damage to turn signal switch
3. Turn signal switches can develop internal shorts and resistance over time
4. There's usually a connector below the steering column, pull it apart and check the rear lights. Expect no lights on. Then jump input power between the 2 connectors and check the output wires for voltage. Right and left turn signal wires will probably have voltage.

My guess is that you will need a new turn signal switch

1646344651898.png

Last edited:
Back