Thanks Dad!

My condolences to all that have lost their loved ones recently. Would love to hear more stories about them. My thoughts and prayers are with you all in your time of sorrow and "memb'ring. (Not trying to sound like Jer).

At least once a month someone at church will say "you sound just like your Dad". When you're 18 you'd say "yeah right", now i consider it the greatest compliment.

Especially so, when the person who tells you is your mother.
ouch
WINCE.GIF

Especially so, when the person who tells you is your mother.
My ex said that to our youngest son once in an argument ... He said "Thank You".

But, I have become my Dad.... Not that's a bad thing at all. I hadn't seen one of my cousins in at least 30 years. After talking for a bit she said "You are my uncle... Your Dad".

My ex said that to our youngest son once in an argument ... He said "Thank You".

But, I have become my Dad.... Not that's a bad thing at all. I hadn't seen one of my cousins in at least 30 years. After talking for a bit she said "You are my uncle... Your Dad".
Mom and dad had a rather brutal divorce. She has said that to me more than once... I have used the same reply.:lol:

Going through some photo albums for photo boards at my dad's funeral. I came across a couple that I thought that might be a bit humorous here in light of our old man with a hat look at political correctness and the car that really cemented my Mopar future.
IMG_20171001_150923415.jpg

My mother's prom picture from Johnson City TN, 1959 (not my dad in picture)
IMG_20171001_153603546.jpg

1977 Plymouth Gran Fury, 400 4 bbl, no thrid seat.

BigBlock, i did the same thing when my dad passed in '13.
Found these photos. Being car related thought they'd be interesting here.
Before going to work for Chrysler he worked at Kaiser Frazer.
I remember dad mentioning he was lead body engineer on the Henry J.
I figure these were taken around 1948. He said they went from this clay model to first body-in-white in 6 months.
henry j copy.jpg

Henry J 003 copy.jpg

They made plywood templates right from the clay model, handed them up to a loft area/drafting room, traced them onto full size drawings. I believe he called them "Hot-shots". The work was done in a small shop in Lansing and the guys commuted from Detroit.
sharp dressed man copy.jpg

Henry J 001 copy.jpg

The crew.
Dad was always the sharp dressed man. I figure he was about 26 years old at the time.
Just another look at the "Greatest Generation". Came home from the war and got to work.

Thank's Dad

This one really jarz my memory bankz. FYI, My Dad gave me ah model 12 16 gage shotgun for my 14 BD in May that year. My favorite memory of him iz that fall when he took me quail hunting near his grand dadz home south west of Madison, Wi in "Scrub Oak Country". I had jumped a covy, fired and missed , and took off running after those quail and looked back to see where Dad was. He waz half way thru' 3 strandz of barbed wire fence in hiz wing tipped shoes, double breasted suit, full length top coat and hat. And in that single moment I freeze framed that picture in my mind because I knew how much he loved me. If I can give one piece of advice to all here who are Friendz and Car-Budz, it would be to love 'um while you've got 'um AND TELL 'UM SO. I lost him the following June and never had the chance to tell him how much I loved him too. I placed My Mother to rest next to him in Shawano, Wi. Memorial Day weekend in 2007 after she had reached her 95th year..... No intent to put a damper on this thread, It's part of life and we just have to live it well, Jer

T If I can give one piece of advice to all here who are Friendz and Car-Budz, it would be to love 'um while you've got 'um AND TELL 'UM SO. I lost him the following June and never had the chance to tell him how much I loved him too. I placed My Mother to rest next to him in Shawano, Wi. Memorial Day weekend in 2007 after she had reached her 95th year..... No intent to put a damper on this thread, It's part of life and we just have to live it well, Jer

This is excellent advice. I wish I had had the opportunity to tell both my parents I loved them but that never happened and now: Regrets

Know what you mean. I'm sure they knew, but words are still powerful. Whether it's the parents, wife or kids.

I think we all make that mistake in life. Yet those are the most wonderful words to hear. I enjoy telling my children and grandchildren how much I love them and when the oldest thinks he is to cool to say it back I remind him that one day I will not be here for him to say it anymore.

I never remembered my dad saying I love you until about 20 years ago. It made a huge impact when he did start saying it. We shouldn't ever assume that people "understand" that they are loved. I tell me children frequently and my wife every morning before I leave for work whether she is awake or not.

Last edited:
While i always knew the folks loved us unconditionally, Dad made a point of telling me the night before he passed. Hearing that and how proud is of what his boys have become is all one really needs.

Back